HR Manager - Emergencies Focus - NW Syria
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
The NW Syria program operates in a remote management context, and forms part of the broader Mercy Corps Syria architecture. NW Syria programs operate in a context of prolonged conflict with frequent spikes of emergency intervention due to displacement and context changes. The HR Manager is a newly dedicated Management role that supports the vast HR needs for our NW Syria program. The position will report to the Director of Support Services for NWS however with a close engagement with the Syria HR team, and taking technical guidance and leadership from the Director of HR.
General Position Summary
The Human Resources Manager – Emergencies focus will lead the day-to-day HR management and ensure the implementation of HR policies, processes and management related to the North West Syria program portfolio. S/he will support the Support Services Director in identify the HR and people priorities of the NW Syria portfolio. S/he will support the HR Director in ensuring timely service delivery for NW Syria teams, and timely support, guidance and counsel to management and team members. S/he will actively participate in the HR Management team of the Syria program.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Human Resource MANAGEMENT
- Work closely with the NW Syria management to understand the program portfolio and operational priorities;
- Support revised planning processes, to ensure HR team has visibility on programmatic and operational priorities and can plan, anticipate and resource HR support, in advance;
- Ensure HR services are provided on time, with high quality and compliant with policies and manuals;
- Ensure all interventions adhere to Mercy Corps' Gender Policy, Do No Harm principles, and beneficiary accountability standards;
- Ensures management and behavioral issues are addressed according to Mercy Corps policies and procedures, including leading investigations at the discretion of the HR Director or Global HR;
- Provides support to all managers and supervisors through facilitating workshops or supporting knowledge transfer for HR and people management topics;
- Ensure relevant communication mechanisms are in place to hear and address team member grievances;
- Provide organizational design guidance and leadership to managers;
- Ensure consistency and coherence across the NW Syria structure;
- Ensure that team members understand the matrix management system in place, continue to analyse and to ensure team composition is structured accordingly;
- Establish and ensure systems related to budgeting positions in line with new programs.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives;
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews;
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive and to achieve excellence.
Policies and PROCEDURES
- Revise policies, procedures and the day to day functioning of the HR department of NW Syria, ensuring that Mercy Corps practices are respected and policies and procedures are followed consistently;
- Identify gaps and propose solutions regarding HR policies and procedures;
- Support all staff in NW Syria to understand the relevant policies and procedures;
- Support Supervisors understanding of HR policies and procedures and ensure their ability not only to adhere to such, but to advise the individuals within their teams appropriately;
- Support HR leadership with analysis of the compensation and benefits framework for NW Syria and implications of its revision.
Recruitment, Selection and Placement
- Work with the NW Syria team to ensure all hiring requests are complete according to Recruiting Policies and Procedures;
- Reflect on recruitment practices and identify opportunities to bring improvements to the compliance and qualitative aspects of recruitment in a remote management setting;
- Identify and provide capacity-building opportunities to improve recruitment procedures and their quality.
Onboarding AND DEPARTURES
- Ensure onboarding process for NW Syria field team;
- Identify an onboarding process for emergency recruitment / scale up;
- Ensure that exit processes for staff departing Mercy Corps are conducted in line with the HR policies and Mercy Corps requirements.
REPORTING AND ADMINISTRATION
- Ensure NW Syria HR reporting is completed qualitatively and timely;
- Work with the NW Syria team to ensure country org charts for programs and operations exist;
- Ensure that HR Administration processes are implemented for NW Syria and support a lead administrative management of data and documentation, with respect to confidentiality.
Human Resource LEADERSHIP
- Actively participate in the HR Management group and support or lead HR priorities;
- Identify HR and people related opportunities and challenges, proposing solutions and leading work streams that support HR across our Syria program, not limited to the NW Syria HUB;
- Identify opportunities to create and promote values based management and leadership and advocate for respect of Mercy Corps values;
- Champion HR related global priorities such as safeguarding and GDI.
Senior HR Officer, HR Assistant.
Reports Directly To: Director of Support Services, NWS. Technically reports to the Director or Human Resources, Syria.
Works Directly With: Area Director NWS, Operations Manager, PAQ Manager, Security Coordinator, Senior Finance Officer, all departments, all NW Syria staff based in both Amman and Syria.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in relevant field, masters preferred
- 5 years' experience in Human Resources Management, with at least 3 years' experience at Management level, within the Humanitarian NGO sector.
- Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns and appropriate responses with experience in the Middle East and in insecure environments.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, following procedures, meeting deadlines and working and problem- solving independently and cooperatively.
- Knowledge and experience in organizational design.
- Experience in leading a HR department in emergency interventions.
- Experience working in remote management an advantage.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication, organizational, prioritization and Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required; proficiency in Arabic is a plus.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse team in a sensitive environment.
The individual will have a solid understanding of working in emergencies. S/he will have a strong understanding of HR best practice in order to lead the function, achieve results and understand priorities. S/he will be comfortable engaging with individuals at all levels within the country program and will do so with a clear and effective communication. S/he will be able to transfer knowledge to team members and lead planning that runs across functions as relates to people.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
This position is based in Amman, Jordan, and is accompanied for international team members. Jordan is middle- income country with excellent education, medical, and other facilities in the capital Amman. Jordan is a very safe country with excellent communications, transportation, and housing infrastructure. Although neighbouring countries continue to experience political unrest, Jordan has been a stable monarchy for over 30 years and the destination preference for many people from the Middle East to relax or gain access to available services. In recent years, events unfolding in Syria and Iraq have increased local concerns over the continued stability of Jordan but to date there have been no major incidents.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps' vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.