Youth Engagement Officer (Young People’s Participation and Empowerment)
Ho Chi Minh Cty
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.Description of task
- Under the direct supervision of the Programme Partnerships Specialist, the National UN Volunteer – Youth Engagement Officer will provide support to the implementation of planned activities of the Child Friendly City Initiative with specific focus on 1) Youth led Innovation and Empowerment 2) Child Rights Awareness and Children’s Participation. More specifically the incumbent will support the following tasks:
- Contribute with support, guidance and monitoring to youth led and adolescent focused partners such as the Youth led Innovation Lab, SIHUB, Youth Union and HAPCR with focus on building capacity for adolescents and youth participation, civic engagement, empowerment and skills building.
- Contribute to the implementation of the Youth Led Innovation Lab’s UPSHIFT/Social Innovation initiative with specific focus on supporting the development of a virtual/digital platform for trainers and educators, youth learners and innovators.
- Provide inputs, facilitation and monitoring of the implementation of creative communication initiatives, child rights monitoring and advocacy activities conducted by HAPCR.
- Support the ongoing implementation of Ureport Viet Nam (Vietnam.ureport.in) including activation of users through youth networks in HCMC and the South of Viet Nam. Explore and help pilot new ways of engaging young people in social media platforms including running various types of polls, surveys and contests.
- Provide technical assistance and facilitation to the development of documentation and communication materials with focus on adolescent’s participation learning and empowerment including video stories, human interest stories, photo essays and infographics together with UNICEF communications team.
- Support outreach and engagement with the private sector on youth empowerment and skills building, specifically skills for employability.
- Contribute to the development of UNICEF Viet Nam’s adolescent and youth led strategy through documenting learning and good practice on youth led participation and empowerment in the Child Friendly City Initiative.
Bachelor’s degree in relevant areas, such as Social sciences, international relations, community development with focus on children and/or youth, media and communications.Required experience: 24 Months Experience remark:
- Minimum of 2 years of professional work experience at the national or sub-national level in social or community development with focus on children and/or youth, media and communications, including social media, participatory methods in research, planning and implementation; experience with NGO or UN work is an asset;
- Experience in/flair for developing/working with digital platforms and content in co-creation with adolescents and young people;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including, and authorities at different levels, NGOs, youth organizations;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Fluency in both Vietnamese and English, oral and written skills; solid drafting, formulation, reporting skills
- Have affinity with or interest in child rights, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- Demonstrated experience in youth participation and development for peace including through social media desirable;
- Familiarity with using social media platforms. Knowledge of relevant computer systems and applications; excellent knowledge of MS Office is required.
- Vietnamese(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Learning and development are a central part of the UN Volunteer’s assignment and take place before, during and after his or her assignment in the field. Ideally, offering diverse opportunities for learning and development aim to strengthen the volunteer’s skills and competences, improve the quality of the assignment and keep the volunteer’s motivation high.
Learning elements for the UN Youth Volunteer include the development of:
Professional skills: including specific competencies and reflection on assignment-related abilities; and on-the-job skills such as time management, problem solving, team building; and career preparedness such as interview skills, CV preparation, job searching.
Inter-personal skills: including communication and listening skills; multi-cultural awareness and cultural competency; and conflict and stress management.
Volunteering-related skills: including leadership; civic responsibility; and engagement and active participation.
Beyond the learning opportunities provided by UNV, the host agency will support knowledge and capacity development in the technical areas that are relevant to the UN Youth Volunteer’s assignment. The host agency will provide, at its expense, UN Youth Volunteers with equal opportunity to participate in training courses and workshops offered to its personnel.Driving license: No Competencies values:
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Then apply via the link below.
?Watch this video for the specific steps you must follow to register on the UN Volunteers' Global Talent Pool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT5uJ_FolWU
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile then apply via the link below.
Application deadline: 09 July 2020