ICLA Adviser - Tehran Based - Iran Nationals Only
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people.
NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, food security, livelihoods, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors. The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 6000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. NRC runs the world's largest standby rosters NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
NRC in the Islamic Republic of Iran
NRC started operations in Iran in 2012. We currently deliver humanitarian assistance in 9 provinces in the sectors of Education, Food Security and livelihoods, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Shelter construction, as well as Information, Counseling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). We co-lead several technical inter-agency working groups and provide capacity building to humanitarian partners in country. Next to our programs, NRC Iran also built an advocacy unit to develop joint messages and initiatives among INGOs to improve rights of the displaced. Following several recent breakthroughs, NRC Iran is scaling up substantially its activities in support of the Government of Iran efforts towards an estimated 3,6 million Afghans residing in country and is expanding its programme unit.
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within ICLA operations, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation
- Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposal, budgets and donor reports
- Provide systematic training and build capacity of technical staff
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support
- Ensure that key learnings are extracted from ICLA implementation, and incorporate them in ICLA and staff development processes
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Ensure that key learnings are extracted from operations regarding the separation of protection and ICLA activities, and incorporate them into program strategy and staff development processes.
- Oversee information management within NRC Iran ICLA operations and supervise / monitor record-keeping systems
- Quality management of highly sensitive ICLA activities, including (but not limited to) follow up of legal assistance, and legal counseling cases within ICLA’s areas of expertise.Bi-weekly mentoring or tutoring of ICLA Coordinators (in Field Offices) and ICLA staff (in Area Offices)
- Support day to day management and team leadership functions of the ICLA Unit in Tehran
- Provide contextualised information and support to the Protection / ICLA CC Specialist
- Assist the Protection / ICLA CC Specialist to draft and implement guidelines pertaining to ICLA activities in Iran,
- Responsible for initiating legal assessments and analysis related to ICLA core areas of expertise.
- Liaise with LFS focal points to support the consideration and inclusion of cash-based interventions and market based approaches within (and across) NRC core competency responses, where appropriate.
Generic professional competencies:
- Minimum three years of experience within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and challenging contexts
- NRC ICLA expertise (or related legal aid or ‘access to justice’ operations)
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Context/specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the displacement and legal context in Iran
- Experience with displaced people’s access to legal identity (including civil documentation) and Housing, Land and Property rights
- Experience with legal aid / access to justice field operations, including data management, record-keeping, and programme quality
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Initiate action and change
We can offer
Duty station: Tehran
Salary/Benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and condition