Associate PPH Officer
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Associate PPH Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Private Sector Partnerships Service (PSP) sits within UNHCR's Division of External Relations (DER) and is responsible for mobilizing resources for refugees from the private sector. UNHCR has developed a Private Sector Fundraising Strategy 2018-2025 which has the ambition of growing PSP into a service capable of generating $1 Billion annually and identifies priority fundraising markets and regions.
As part of this strategy, and in order to achieve the ambitious objectives of mobilizing necessary resources for UNHCR, PSP¿s Private Partnerships and Philanthropy (PPH) Section develops and strengthens long-term partnerships with companies, foundations and private philanthropists (¿PPH donors¿). As part of a wider fundraising team, the primary role of PPH colleagues is to seek various forms of support from PPH donors: securing funding for UNHCR programmes and projects will be considered priority, but the work also includes leveraging the capacities of these partnerships beyond funding, in order to build long-lasting holistic partnerships bringing various forms of support to UNHCR and to persons of concern, such as advocacy, visibility, expertise, innovation and public engagement.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- As delegated by the supervisor, support the engagement with a portfolio of PPH donors, and all activities relevant for the acquisition and strengthening of partnerships and relationships with them, ensuring that a dynamic pipeline is in place and regularly assessed and updated;
- Support the preparation of pitches, presentations, proposals, reports, and any other fundraising material targeting PPH donors. This can include working with PSP HQ to support the delivery of on-time reporting on contributions, and the development of funding proposals representing UNHCR¿s priorities and donor needs;
- Support the management of partnerships and relationships, e.g. by helping to draft donor reports, plan donor missions or other tasks necessary to ensure that relationships are appropriately nurtured;
- Undertake market research to provide intelligence to inform PPH initiatives and/or the approach to specific donors or sectors;
- Support on the engagement of existing and potential donors at high-profile events, which can include being responsible for the logistics to ensure events are adequately planned and executed, and supporting on the preparation of the agenda, briefing notes, and talking points;
- Support the organization of internal meetings and skill-shares; and help plan the agenda points relevant to matters pertaining to partnerships and philanthropy;
- Support the drafting of the PPH section of the PSP team¿s PSP Annual Plans and Budgets, as the Quarterly Reports, by supporting the preparation of budgets and creating financial reports;
- As delegated, and in collaboration with Administrative colleagues, support PPH colleagues with procurement, admin and travel matters;
- Support the maintenance of up-to-date and accurate records of partnerships and relationships. This might include helping to keep track of income raised, keeping internal calendars and plans updated, and supporting on data entry and maintenance on Salesforce;
- Contribute to the development and updating of content on PSP¿s SharePoint platform, in order to improve internal communications, and to maintain a regular flow of information with colleagues within and outside PSP;
- Contribute to information management and knowledge-sharing, through the collation and dissemination of data and information on partnerships and philanthropy;
- Support the delivery of communications and visibility plans with PPH donors. This can include gathering, consolidating and presenting data and information for the preparation of communications materials in collaboration with Communications and/or Public Information colleagues.
- The incumbent of the position will perform in direct link with the broader PSP country market plans and context, including effective collaborating on and working towards non-direct cash elements together with IG and campaigns, such expanding network for other purposes like in-kind, free publicity, CRM or location access for face-to-face frontliners.
- Support the development of relationships with philanthropists, major donors, HNWIs and ultra HNWIs, by supporting the implementation of bespoke care plans to ensure that donors are engaged with the organization;
- Support the delivery of high-quality presentations, proposals and reports for major donor audiences, including through impact reporting;
- Support the organization of high-level events tailored for philanthropists, major donors, and (U)HNWIs;
- If requested, analyse the relevant data to ensure that donors are identified and cultivated towards their peak giving level;
- If requested, work with Individual Giving colleagues on initiatives, plans and messaging on specific themes to ensure that materials can be tailored for major donors and (U)HNWIs. This can include supporting the development of marketing materials on legacies and planned giving; or supporting activities to upgrade and transition appropriate middle donors to the major donor/HNWI programme.
- Support the development and implementation of initiatives designed to engage with foundations;
- Support on the preparation and submission of foundations grants, including budget and narrative submissions, by helping gather, consolidate and present information in line with agreed deadlines;
- Support the logistics and planning of the organization of or participation in events for foundation and philanthropic networks and/or events in which senior foundations leaders are attending;
- Support colleagues in implementing initiatives designed to acquire and strengthen partnerships with corporations and corporate foundations;
- Support colleagues in the management of corporate partnership and in the implementation of cultivation and stewardship plans with corporate partners to ensure that their competencies are leveraged for the benefit of UNHCR and persons of concern, and that the partnership is achieving its full potential. This might include support on joint initiatives, such as cause-related marketing campaigns, joint communications and employee engagement plans;
- Support the preparation of pitches, presentations and reports which communicate to corporate partners¿ representatives, in an accurate, timely and persuasive manner, relevant information on UNHCR¿s programs and activities.
- Perform other related duties as required.¿
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P2 - 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Marketing, Communications, Journalism,
International Relations, conomics, Business Administration/Management,
Social Sciences or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- Relevant professional experience in fundraising and/or partnerships and/or management of relationships with donors and/or external partners, with exposure to an international environment and/or with humanitarian organizations
- Ability to produce high-quality written materials tailored to specific audiences
- Ability to balance different and sometimes competing needs and deadlines
- Experience in coordinating between multiple stakeholders, with an ability to multi-task, manage time, and thrive in a high-pressure environment
- Experience in a UN field location and/or working in a developing country, with an ability to function well in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge of humanitarian and/or development programming
- Knowledge of CRM systems, ideally Salesforce
- Knowledge of SharePoint 365 platform
- Experience in marketing and/or communications
FR-PSFR Management/Support of Private Sector Fundraising Investment processes/procedures
FR-Fundraising materials production and management
FR-Fundraising Mechanism of Donor Governments
FR-Corporate Fundraising and/or Foundation Fundraising
FR-Leadership Giving/Individual Giving Fundraising programmes
FR-Corporate Partnership Fundraising
FR-Experience in fundraising organizations
FR-Middle and/or Major Donor Fundraising
FR-Fundraising (incl. operations, programmes)
FR-Experience in Private Sector Fundraising
FR-Fundraising - High Net Worth Individuals (HNWI)
FR-PSFR Management of Private Sector Fundraising Investments in new markets
IT-MS Office Applications;
IT-Business Intelligence (BI)
CL-Multi-stakeholder Communications with Partners, Government & Community
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. C001L2 - Accountability Level 2
C002L2 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 2
C003L2 - Communication Level 2
C004L2 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 2
C005L2 - Client & Result Orientation Level 2
C006L2 - Organizational Awareness Level 2
M001L2 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 2
M002L2 - Managing Performance Level 2
M006L2 - Managing Resources Level 2
X004L2 - Negotiation and Conflict Resolution Level 2
X007L2 - Political Awareness Level 2
X008L2 - Stakeholder Management Level 2
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for advertisements in the Add.3 March 2020 Compendium is Thursday 9 July 2020 (midnight Geneva time).