Snr Digital Strat & Plann Off
New York City (United States of America)
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Senior Digital Strategy and Planning Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Digital Strategy and Planning Officer plays a crucial role supporting the development of digital strategies across country offices to effectively deliver against their communication engagement targets and objectives. This role supports digital engagement within the geographic Area of Responsibility (AoR). The incumbent works closely with colleagues across DER at HQ including those working in resource mobilisation and communications. S/he also supports all global markets with the roll out of specific projects related to their digital transformation. The position is in the Digital Engagement Section, reports directly to the Chief of Digital Engagement Section and requires in-depth experience of digital channels. This is across all digital disciplines including but not limited to digital strategy development, digital marketing methodology, engagement with digital partners and digital communications.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Support offices within the AoR with digital strategy, planning and delivery and how best to use digital channels to support their communications goals.
- Manage and oversee the workflow of the digital engagement support team within the AoR. Ensure colleagues help local offices and teams to identify how best to utilise channels, tools, and resources to meet their digital engagement goals. Work with regional support colleagues to monitor and optimise offices¿ digital programs, including attending digital reviews and planning meeting where needed.
- Ensure that digital engagement strategies and priorities are developed and implemented effectively across offices.
- Advise offices on the development of digital engagement campaigns from platform creation through to end impact analysis.
- Support country offices within the AoR with initiatives that further enhance their digital transformation (e.g. influencer engagement strategies).
- Lead on digital partnership communications initiatives as they relate to UNHCR¿s global digital engagement goals.
- Identify and engage with non-financial partners who can support UNHCR¿s digital strategy goals (including academia, thought leadership consultancies, innovation hubs, tech sector and other entities).
- Cultivate relationships with digital teams within other UN agencies, and work towards fostering joint knowledge sharing and partnership.
- Act as a focal point/liaison for HQ on UNHCR/UN partnerships as related to digital engagement. Identify key opportunities for UNHCR digital engagement within UNGA and other key UN events.
- Ensure that digital partnerships opportunities are approached holistically and with a long-term view in mind, so that all areas of digital engagement and innovation are maximized, for all relevant offices and teams across the UNHCR network.
- Support the supervisor with the development and implementation of the digital transformation strategy.
- Arrange and run consultations, capacity building events and communication sessions with local, regional and HQ staff
- Facilitate measurement of digital maturity and progress of the digital transformation strategy in key markets.
- Develop and monitor digital engagement targets and performance. Work with support colleagues to review digital performance and provide feedback in relation to the digital transformation strategy within the AoR.
- Develop guidance and best practice guides for global markets.
- Ensure staff have effective digital training and capacity building program in place.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P4/NOD - 9 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 8 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 7 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
*Communications Marketing Digital Media
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Minimum 7 years¿ experience within digital marketing and communications. Minimum 5 years of experience providing global support and oversight preferably in a UN organization, with proven exposure to supporting offices with developing their digital strategy. Proven experience with developing a global digital strategy within a UN or International organization context. Experience developing a framework for measuring and implementing digital strategy in a UN or International organization context. High level end user understanding of digital engagement principles such as effective relationship management, digital analytics, marketing automation and ad serving platforms. Proven experience in managing a geographically distributed team. Proven experience in building digital capacity. Experience working in or with digital marketing and communications agencies working on global campaigns and clients
Strong understanding of digital transformation and ability to identify how digital is shifting organizational strategies. Strong stakeholder management and meeting facilitation skills. Demonstrated ability to work independently and to motivate others. Excellent vendor communications/relations skills.
MG-Client Relationship Management
*FR-Experience in Private Sector Fundraising
FR-Fundraising (incl. operations, programmes)
*FR-Private Sector Fund Raising (PSFR) techniques
*UN-UN Systems and Processes
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M005L3 - Leadership Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
X005L3 - Planning and Organizing Level 3
X003L3 - Technological Awareness Level 3
X008L3 - Stakeholder Management Level 3
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for advertisements in the Add.3 March 2020 Compendium is Thursday 9 July 2020 (midnight Geneva time).