Senior Coordinator (Research & Partnerships)
Post Number : 1ITSC0878TP
Grade : P-5
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Trieste
Job Family: Natural Sciences
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 07-SEP-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Founded in 1964 by the late Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam and located in Trieste (Italy), the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) seeks to accomplish its mandate by providing scientists from developing countries with the continuing education and skills that they need to enjoy long and productive careers.
Under the supervision of the Director ICTP, the incumbent will coordinate the work of various scientific sections and lead the work on preparing the recommendations to the ICTP Director on the strategic research priorities and emerging directions. In coordination with the heads of scientific sections, the incumbent will lead the effort at the institute to ensure scientific excellence in the areas of research at ICTP through proper recruitments of top scientists. The incumbent will build strategic partnerships with IAEA, UNESCO, scientific institutions in Italy and worldwide to identify joint collaborative opportunities, foster cooperation, networking and scientific information sharing.Long Description
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Provide leadership in determining ICTP strategic research priorities, including in emerging fields, and preparing the recommendations to the Director ICTP on the research directions to follow. Serve as a primary authoritative advisor to Director ICTP on new research areas to embark on to ensure high standing of the Centre in the international scientific community. Lead ICTP activities on establishing and monitoring the standards of scientific excellence and making recommendations to Director ICTP to nominate top achievers for international scientific prises. Consult ICTP Heads of Sections on cross-cutting initiatives and opportunities for partnering and lead cross-sectional research projects.
- Build strategic partnerships and oversee scientific liaison of ICTP with other scientific institutions in Italy and worldwide. Foster international cooperation, networking and scientific information sharing, proactively seek new scientific partnership opportunities. Initiate and negotiate joint research activities and programmes. Represent ICTP and it is scientific standing at international conferences and forums. In coordination with the Public Information Office, ensure that ICTP scientific research activities receive adequate press coverage. Answer questions from the Italian media during press conferences and give interviews on ICTP scientific research activities and achievements to specialized scientific journals and programmes and local media.
- Develop and maintain strong diplomatic relations with the Italian government representatives within the delegated authority to independently conduct negotiations to strengthen scientific and institutional ties with national and local institutions. Represent the ICTP and its Director at national, regional and local events. Represent the Director ICTP in the negotiations regarding the scientific and educational activities carried out in collaboration with IAEA, promote joint projects and activities and seek new collaborative opportunities. Advise the Director ICTP on possible scientific collaborative opportunities within UNESCO.
- As an internationally recognized expert in the field of interest to ICTP, lead one of the research programmes of the Centre. Define new research directions, plan and engage resources necessary for their implementation. Provide guidance and mentoring to ICTP research scientists, post-doctoral fellows, visitors and students and serve as their scientific supervisor as needed. Teach courses and lead the organisation of ICTP scientific activities and events in the area of expertise, endorse the selection of applicants for ICTP programmes and activities.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Communication (C) Accountability (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) Building partnerships (M) Driving and managing change (M) Leading and empowering others (M) Making quality decisions (M) Managing performance (M) Strategic thinking (M) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced University degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in Physics, Mathematics or related disciplines.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of relevant post-doctoral research experience in Physics, Mathematics or a related field, of which preferably 5 years at international level.
- Experience in the design, implementation and management of scientific projects.
- Experience in the teaching and/or mentoring of undergraduate or postgraduate students.
- Experience in donor relations and/or scientific outreach.
- Experience providing advice to senior leadership.
- Demonstrated experience in supervising teams.
Skills & Competencies
- Ability to propose innovative research directions and approaches.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to establish plans and priorities and effectively implement them.
- Capacity to provide intellectual leadership to guide staff, as well as ability to build trust, manage, lead and motivate a large number of staff in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain partnerships and to ensure a high-level coordination and cooperation with internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge (spoken and written) of English.
- Good working knowledge of Italian.
- Experience in planning and managing significant budgets.
- Experience in organizing scientific conferences and events.
- Knoweldge of another official UNESCO language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.