Senior Coordinator (Programmes & Advancement)
Post Number : 1ITSC0877TP
Grade : P-5
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Trieste
Job Family: Programme Coordination
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 07-SEP-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Founded in 1964 by the late Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam and located in Trieste (Italy), the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) seeks to accomplish its mandate by providing scientists from developing countries with the continuing education and skills that they need to enjoy long and productive careers.
The Programmes and Advancement Section focuses on raising funds for ICTP programmes, managing and promoting a wide range of ICTP educational and training programmes in support of scientists in their home countries, as well as providing opportunities for scientists to visit ICTP and carry out research at the Centre or in Italian laboratories.
Under the supervision of the Director ICTP, the incumbent will head the Programmes and Advancement Section and be responsible for leading institute advancement and fund raising, work with partner, associated and federated institutes, organization of education and training programmes, as well as ICTP conferences and events.
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Supervise and coordinate the work of the Units responsible for implementation of the ICTP training and educational programmes, external activities, outreach and institute advancement, as well as ICTP conference services. Establish priorities, work objectives and monitor the standards of excellence in performance, ensuring the effective use of human and financial resources and availability of necessary event management tools and systems. Promote good working practices and learning.
- Lead and coordinate the development of long-term strategic plan for ICTP advancement and outreach programme, devise ICTP outreach strategy to increase Centre's visibility and reach out to as many countries and scientific institutions as possible. Oversee the work of Public Information Office and incorporate it into the overall outreach strategy.
- Provide authoritative advice to the Director ICTP on the further enhancement of the Centre’s Education Programmes. In collaboration with the heads of the scientific sections and programmes, develop a holistic and cohesive service across the various programmes on a 360 degrees basis. Oversee the work of Conference Support Service, organizing over 70 training and learning events annually, and direct the provision of event management services.
- Plan and devise strategies for the further development of the External Activities, the Associated and Federated Institutes and the Institute Advancement programmes, ensure successful implementation of the approved strategies and evaluate the impact of the activities implemented. Build strategic partnerships and alliances with other scientific institutions and potential donors. Develop resource mobilization strategies, negotiate with government authorities and key decision makers at scientific institutions the possibility of providing additional funding in support of ICTP scientific programmes. Strengthen the cooperation with other international organizations (such as IAEA) through synergetic activities and represent ICTP in negotiations as delegated by Director ICTP.
- Coordinate and oversee the ICTP relationships with the newly established ICTP Centre in Rwanda (East African Institute for Fundamental Research), UNESCO Category II Institute. In collaboration with EAIFR Director, lead the work of Centre, provide vision and guidance on its management and development. Negotiate the financial support for the Centre and ensure its adequate staffing. Develop training programmes. Provide authoritative advice to the Director on further development of the Centre. Represent ICTP on the governing bodies of other Category II Institutes collaborating with ICTP, serve as one of key decision makers on their strategic direction and work priorities. Acts as focal point on analysis of applications, strategic value of and establishment of new partner institutes.
- Undertake front-line research, develop and implement scientific projects in own area of expertise. Lead the work of research groups, supervise the research work of postdoctoral research scientists and/or Diploma Course students, STEP students and ICTP Associates. Give lectures and scientific presentations during events and activities organized by ICTP and be responsible for the visiting and training programmes in own field of research.
- As a member or a chair of ICTP advisory bodies, advise the Director ICTP on scientific and administrative issues of major importance to the Centre, as well as directions for it's future development.
- Advanced University degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in Physics, Mathematics or related disciplines.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of relevant post-doctoral research experience in Physics, Mathematics or a related field, of which preferably 5 years at international level.
- Experience in the design, implementation and management of scientific projects.
- Experience in the teaching and/or mentoring of undergraduate or postgraduate students.
- Experience in resource mobilization, donor relations and/or outreach at the managerial level.
- Experience providing advice to senior leadership, including in supporting business process improvements.
- Demonstrated experience in supervising teams.
Skills & Competencies
- Ability to propose innovative approaches, enabling the institute to satisfy its specific business needs within the UNESCO framework.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to establish plans and priorities and effectively implement them.
- Capacity to provide intellectual leadership to guide staff, as well as ability to build trust, manage, lead and motivate a large number of staff in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain partnerships and to ensure a high-level coordination and cooperation with internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge (spoken and written) of English.
- Experience in planning and managing significant budgets.
- Experience in organizing scientific conferences and events.
- Good working knowledge of Italian or of another UNESCO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.