Comprehensive Needs Assessment Consultant
South Sudan (South Sudan)
Objectives of Assignment:
The IRC is looking for a consultant (or team of consultants) to develop a theory and evidence based comprehensive multi sector needs assessment in three counties of Kapoeta in Eastern Equatoria state and Mayendit and Leer Counties of Unity State of South Sudan. Specifically, the consultant will present an overview of conditions in Greater Kapoeta Counties and give recommendations and justification for IRC in South Sudan to expand its operations in Eastern Equatoria while maintaining focus on majorly Health (Clinical care, community health, Nutrition and Environmental Health), Safety (GBV, Protection and Rule of Law), Economic Wellbeing (food security and Livelihoods) and Education activities.
Scope of Study:
The main outcome of interest of the comprehensive multisector needs assessment is for the consultant to study the conditions and challenges in the selected locations and understand with evidence the humanitarian needs of the people and recommend the support needed to provide interventions and whether it is feasible for IRC in South Sudan to expand operations to those locations. This should include available service providers in those locations and the gaps they are currently facing on service provision. The consultant should clearly identify what IRC’s contribution will be in covering those gaps if they choose to expand to Kapeota Counties in Eastern Equatoria.
Specific Scope of work
- Design a study methodology to examine the humanitarian needs of the people in the selected counties of Greater Kapoeta, Leer and Mayendit.
- Focus on understanding the needs around Health (PHC, Nutrition and WASH), Safety ( GBV Prevention and Response, Child Protection and Protection and Rule of Law), Economic Wellbeing (food security and Livelihoods) and Education and identify any gaps in service delivery in the selected locations,
- Identify key service delivery partners available in the greater Kapoeta counties and whether there are any gaps in service delivery around the key IRC outcome areas of safety, health and economic wellbeing besides education and governance sectors,
- Prepare a multisector needs assessment report with recommendations for future decision making for IRC in South Sudan to be able to design its next country program Strategic Action Plan (SAP).
- Outline in a summary what other locations within Eastern Equatroia state of South Sudan that IRC could eventually focus on if it identifies the State as a viable geographical location for interventions in its next SAP besides greater Kapoeta counties.
- Review secondary literature material on humanitarian needs around Eastern Equatoria State and provide suggestions on future operations and humanitarian context around counties of Torit, Budi, Magwi, Ikotos and Lafon.
- Make recommendations based on literature reviews on counties of Torit, Budi, Magwi, Ikotos and Lafon on current humanitarian needs and future prospects taking into consideration refugee situation in Uganda and Kenya.
The security situation in South Sudan is still fluid with sporadic community based conflicts and revenge killings that take place around most parts of the country. The government as of February 2020 started the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement that brings together a unity government for three years. Currently Eastern Equatoria State is calm with no major reported cases of conflict however, it remains unpredictable. In all locations, consultants are required to follow IRC security protocols.
The comprehensive multisector needs assessment is expected to take 45 working days including field work and report compilation period. The assessment is expected to end by 30th September 2020.
The consultant / consultant team will be responsible to deliver the following:
- An inception report with clear methodologies showing how to carry out the assignment and the timelines for implementation
- Draft Assessment report for review by IRC Technical teams both in Juba and HQ
- Final Needs Assessment report with recommendations