Senior Operations Officer
Arlington (United States of America)
Reporting to the Vice President (VP) of Global Health Systems Innovation (GHSI) - the Operations Officer plays a strategic role in ensuring the successful management of GHSI’s operations. The Operations Officer supports GHSI’s management, including planning and monitoring the GHSI budget, workplan, communications, and internal and external engagements. The Operations Officer plays a key role implementing GHSI’s operations, and acts as liaison between GHSI leadership and staff.
He/she advises on financial aspects of GHSI’s operations and works collaboratively with BDI, PDG, and corporate groups (finance, HR etc.) to support strategic initiatives.
The Operations Officer must have good knowledge of MSH operations and strong business and organizational acumen. The successful candidate for this role will be driven by passion for achieving the operational excellence required to achieve MSH's mission. As key advisor to Leaders of GHSI, the Operations Officer handles complex and sensitive issues that intersect clients and organizational dimensions, and helps to manage issues across the spectrum.
Operational Practice Standards
- Partner with the VP, GHSI to leverage time and duties based on the shifting and growing needs of the GHSI leadership team.
- Oversee and manage administrative, financial and operational activities for GHSI, ensuring the VP, GHSI is informed of upcoming events, commitments and responsibilities with appropriate and timely follow up.
- Establish and maintain effective working and liaison relationships with GHSI leadership team, and internal and external associates. Lend collaborative and liaison support to GHSI leadership team and other relevant managers.
- Support the planning process related to operations, strategy, budget, and organizational goals.
- Develop and implement a system for tracking and reporting on the progress of the GHSI strategic plan implementation and effectiveness impact. Coordinate work plans and scorecards supporting GHSI’s strategic goals.
Cross-Cutting Initiative Amanagement and Matrix Integration
- Facilitate the integration required across often disparate stakeholders who may need further clarity, alignment and involvement to directly impact the desired goals – tact, diplomacy, and persistence are essential qualities in executing this dimension of the role.
- Support GHSI leaders in organizational initiatives, projects, communications or investigations related to MSH values, culture, talent management, staff development, and matrixed management
- Act as manager for special Projects within GHSI, including change management and strategic initiatives.
- Manage resource needs for special research analysis activities, which may include supervision of small pool of staff available to technical and project staff for research and analysis
Required: Bachelor’s degree in communications, business, social sciences, foreign language, or related field.
Preferred: Master’s degree in a related area
Required: 6 years of experience working in administrative, communication, or project management-related activities with a bachelor’s degree or 3 years of experience with a master’s degree.
Preferred: 8 or more years of related experience.
Knowledge and Skills
· Strong interpersonal and communications skills, with the ability to work collaboratively with program, finance, and operations staff, as well as employees at every level of the organization
· Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite applications is required, including mastery of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
· Excellent knowledge of Google Platform Applications, such as Gmail and Google Calendar.
· Strong ability to communicate clearly and concisely in English, both verbally and in writing. Language skills in French and/or Spanish highly preferred.
· Excellent research and analytical skills.
· Ability to adapt and learn other database programs as required.
· Prior experience in a global health environment is preferred, but not required.
· Excellent presentation skills.
· Demonstrated organizational, planning, and time management skills. Excellent problem-solving abilities for complex issues.
· Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and organizational integrity.
· Ability to work flexibly, collaboratively and independently in a complex and diverse organization.
· Tact and ability to work effectively with others at all levels, both internally and externally.
· Demonstrated competence to handle a variety of activities with attention to detail and quality and with minimal direction and supervision.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work successfully in a team environment.
· Demonstrated ability to use discretion and good judgment.
· A pleasant, welcoming, and articulate telephone manner with an ability to use tact and discretion when necessary. Empathetic instincts with good people skills.
· A good sense of humor and ability to maintain a fun and pleasant office environment for staff is required.
· Ability to maintain a good work/life balance is required in order to maintain a high energy level.
· Is aware of and adheres to MSH’s procurement integrity standards and the MSH code of ethics in all activities