National PRoL Manager
IRC Uganda is currently looking for a strategic leader to help reimagine and reshape nationally driven and locally led protection systems to serve displaced women, children and others who are at the greatest risk of trauma, violence, abuse and exploitation during the COVID-19 pandemic response and beyond. The National Protection and Rule of Law (PRoL) Manager will liaise with key government counterparts and CSOs to pioneer and field test system strengthening approaches with the aim of advancing social protection and access to justice for refugees and displaced populations in line with the Global Compact on Refugees, the Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework and localised SDGs in Uganda.
The ideal candidate has excellent technical capacity in human rights, social and legal protection, and justice sector strengthening, practical experience working in both humanitarian and development contexts, excellent coordination, networking and diplomacy skills, the capacity to innovate and solve problems efficiently and the ability to work effectively, providing technical leadership and strategic direction to IRC Uganda’s protection and rule of law programming.
The National PRoL Manager will work to oversee the quality and timely implementation of all aspects of the Protection and Rule of Law Scale Up Seed Initiative. S/he will identify opportunities to leverage IRC PRoL’s programming and ensure complementarity with economic, social, peace justice and security objectives of key Government counterparts and development partners. The National PRoL Manager reports directly to the PRoL Coordinator and is based in Kampala. This position supervises the Senior PRoL Capacity Building Officer and provides technical backstopping to the Urban Programme Manager based in Nsambya.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to strategic execution of IRC’s PRoL Scale Up Seed Initiative, ensuring high programme quality and alignment with broader national developments and IRC’s Strategy Action Plan.
- Contribute to the technical aspects of the Scale Up Seed Initiative, ensuring timely implementation of work plans and spending plans and strong coordination with local partners.
- Develop and/or adapt technical and managerial tools to support day to day programme implementation.
- Work collaboratively with the MEAL coordinator to ensure that documentation and monitoring systems are effectively designed and integrated into all stages of the programme.
- Ensure that all interventions are in compliance with Uganda’s legislative, policy and sectoral frameworks as well as relevant international laws, norms and standards
- Provide routine support to and monitoring of local partners to ensure adherence with best practices and alignment with approved project documents.
- Set up a budget tracking system and review Budget vs. Actual expenditure for the Scale Up Seed Initiative on a monthly basis.
- Provide regular updates and reports, including progress on milestones achieved and data visualisation products.
- Supervise and mentor the Senior Protection Capacity Building Officer, including provision of technical guidance and coaching.
- Provide technical backstopping support to the Urban Programme Manager especially with national level engagement involving high level stakeholder management.
New Business Development
- Identify opportunities for, design and develop concept notes and proposals to scale up the Seed Initiative and grow the PRoL portfolio.
- Ensure all programme design adhere to IRC theories of change and advance outcomes which are evidence-driven and evidence-generated.
- Coordinate and participate in the development of budgets for programme proposals in conjunction with the grants and finance departments.
- Identify opportunities for partnership and strategic collaboration at various levels of governance and across a broad range of constituents.
Representation and Advocacy
- Contribute to technical leadership and support for relationship and partnership building with key Government counterparts, UN agencies, I/NGOs, CSOs, RLOs, Youth led groups, development agencies, multilateral development banks, private sector and other key actors.
- Support IRC representation in high level and strategic meetings involving key Government counterparts and other national and local stakeholders.
- Contribute to leveraging programmatic interventions to influence policy dialogue on development-oriented approaches to promote the inclusion of refugees and displaced populations in national policies, local plans and systems strengthening.
Key Working Relationships
Position reports to: PRoL Coordinator
Position supervises:Senior Protection Capacity Building OfficerOther internal contacts:County Director, Finance Controller, Deputy Director of Operations, MEAL Coordinator, Grants Coordinator, Grants Manager, other Technical Coordinators, Senior Protection Manager, Urban Programme Manager, PRoL Technical Advisor, Governance Technical Advisor, Child Protection Technical Advisor.