DIRECTOR - IMPACT AT SCALE
Atlanta (United States of America)
CARE International's new Agenda 2030 strategy makes explicit its ambition of influencing change beyond the communities where we work directly in order to achieve our vision of a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live in dignity and security. For CARE, achieving impact at scale means not only reaching large numbers of people, but most importantly making transformative changes at the systemic level that lead to lasting impact on the lives of women and girls.
Some of the pathways that CARE uses to do this include:
• Scaling up, replicating and adapting proven models both directly as well as through partners,
• Advocacy to influence changes in policies, programs and budgets and how those are implemented,
• Systems strengthening and social accountability to improve service provision to the poor and marginalized,
• Supporting social movements to achieve change through collective action,
• Promoting social norms change through community dialogue and media campaigns, and
• Inclusive market-based approaches that are both financially sustainable and contribute to social change.
The Director, Impact at Scale will be responsible for overall leadership of the Impact at Scale organizational priority for CARE USA, reporting to the Vice President for Impact and Innovation. S/he will directly oversee a scaling advisor and also work with regionally-based innovation advisors to ensure programs are designed for scale from the start, validate potential pathways to scale, and advise teams across CARE on realizing their potential for scale. The team will help develop and implement scaling plans, facilitate the development of marketable products along with the implementation and fundraising teams, manage rigorous pipeline of potentially scalable initiatives, build internal capacity and shared learning for impact at scale including the establishment of a community of practice, and position CARE externally as a thought leader on impact at scale. The Director, Impact at Scale will work closely with their peers in Impact and Innovation (Director for Innovation, Senior Director, Market Based Approaches, AVP Global Advocacy) to fully realize CARE's potential for massive impact.
Specific responsibilities for this position include:
- Lead Impact at Scale organizational priority for CARE USA.
- Drive the development and implementation of scaling plans and nurture innovation/scaling pipeline with relevant teams across CARE including program, innovation, fund raising, marketing & communications, regional and country office staff.
- Oversee monitoring and evaluation processes for impact at scale initiatives.
- Strengthen internal capacity for impact at scale by sharing of tools, knowledge and learning through a community of practice.
- Increase influence of CARE externally as a thought leader in impact at scale.
Lead Impact at Scale organizational priority for CARE USA
• Convene cross-cutting impact at scale core team
• Drive cultural shift to make impact at scale a key part of CARE's overall programmatic way of working
• Collaborate with technical teams to source and develop solutions and products for Impact at Scale
• Liaise with CARE International Program Team to operationalize impact at scale in program strategy
• Provide regular updates to CARE USA strategy team
• Compile quarterly reports for CARE USA strategy reporting
• Report progress on strategy execution to Impact at scale steering committee
Drive the development and implementation of scaling plans and nurture innovation/scaling pipeline
• Develop process for selecting models, initiatives and programs in which to invest for impact at scale
• Apply and adapt criteria for identifying solutions and developing products in which to invest for impact at scale
• Develop business plans and mega-gift pitches with technical and fundraising teams
• Work with the implementation teams to develop scaling plans and products
• Develop an approach to partnership for scale and support implementation teams in developing strategic partnerships
• Collaborate with Innovations team to source and nurture innovations for scaling
Oversee monitoring and evaluation processes for impact at scale initiatives
• Develop an overall monitoring and evaluation framework for measuring success of impact at scale, in collaboration with Director of Impact Measurement
• Adapt M&E framework to specific proposals for donor funding
• Identify and assess criteria for stages of scaling
• Develop and apply an approach to calculating return on investment for scaling initiatives
• In collaboration with Research and Evidence Lead, commission research by external partners to generate rigorous evidence of successful innovations for scaling pipeline, analyze and disseminate findings
• Track progress on scaling metrics and report to CARE’s annual Project and Program Information and Impact Reporting System (PIIRS)
Strengthen internal capacity for impact at scale by sharing of tools, knowledge and learning
• Establish community of practice for shared learning
• Develop and maintain site on CARE Shares knowledge management platform for document sharing and collaboration
• Develop practical “how to” guidance on scaling impact
• Document case studies of successful scaling and failures for internal learning and external publication as appropriate
• Train and accompany staff as needed, including use of the Scale x Design curriculum
• Support the incorporation of scaling plans into project design and program strategy processes with technical and fundraising teams, at country, regional or US levels
Increase influence of CARE externally as a thought leader in impact at scale
• Develop compelling thought pieces on scaling for external publications and blogs
• Participate in external communities of practice on scaling
• Present on CARE’s work at external conferences and other events
• Collaborate with Policy and Advocacy team on policy advocacy initiatives related to scaling and development of advocacy plans in scaling strategies
- Masters Degree in a development-related field, MPH, MBA or equivalent degree
- 10 years of progressive professional experience in international humanitarian and development work
- 3-5 years' work experience in low or middle income country
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation of large projects
- Experience with scaling
- Research experience
- Experience with gender responsive or transformative programming
- Business planning experience
- Training skills
- Process facilitation
- Presentation skills
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at email@example.com.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.