Philippines: Humanitarian Research Coordinator
The Rooted in Trust project aims to disrupt and mitigate the flow of misleading, inaccurate or malign information for vulnerable populations affected by humanitarian crises during COVID-19. Internews' methodologies are part of the wider humanitarian community Engagement and Accountability efforts and contribute to Risk Communication & Community Engagement (RCCE) efforts from health and humanitarian partners, by ensuring that community perspectives are captured to inform RCCE strategies and that concerns, rumors and questions are addressed with reliable information that comes from, and is created by, local media or other reliable information providers on a variety of both traditional and social media platforms.
This approach galvanizes and supports local media, particularly those trusted and used by vulnerable communities experiencing humanitarian crises, to fully play their role as information providers, as facilitators of conversations within their communities, and as watchdogs and agents of accountability for responders and service providers. Internews will ensure that the work of humanitarian and health organizations is shaped by and responsive to the expressed needs of vulnerable communities and local contexts as the pandemic unfolds.
The Humanitarian Research Coordinator will manage the implementation of an Information Ecosystem Assessment in BARMM, Philippines. The Information Ecosystem Assessment will have a strong focus on how IDP populations communicate to access information about COVID-19 related issues and how their use of online media intersects with their use of traditional media and other sources. Research activities will include desk research, social media monitoring, Key Informant Interviews, Focus Group Discussions, surveys, capacity assessment interviews and field observations. The Report will help to inform public health and humanitarian response agencies to better communities key messages to the at-risk population.
Scope of Work
- Work with the Global research lead to design the research activities;
- Adapt research tools to the local context;
- Coordinate with partner organizations to provide training to ensure quality data collection practices;
- Clean, collate and analyze data collected by partner organizations;
- Conduct key informant interviews with community leaders, influencers, public health and humanitarian agency officials, media representatives and others;
- Identify information flows, uses, popular platforms, trusted actors, and how information on the virus is produced, distributed and accessed;
- Contribute to the writing of the final report;
- Generate graphs or other engaging content to display data;
- Collaborate with key informants to identify further areas of research;
- Deliver regular reporting to the project team;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisors.
- Minimum of four (4) years of relevant working experience in qualitative research, social science, data analysis, anthropology, or similar
- Experience with social media monitoring required, additional experience in humanitarian communications, media monitoring, or related fields desired
- Experience in working in a humanitarian context and/or working in challenging environments and having a strong understanding of how to work with local authorities, international agencies like UN, INGOs and local organizations and community representatives
- Strong research skills, including qualitative and quantitative methodologies, like Focus Group Discussions, Key Informant Interview, social edia observation and analysis, data visualization, etc.
- Excellent time management skills, knowing how to work with Excel, nVivio or similar software
- Strong interpersonal communication, organizational, teamwork, facilitation and presentation skills
- Strong writing skills and proven ability to produce high quality reports and to work under tight deadlines
- Strong written and spoken English required
- Fluency in other local languages in Mindanao an advantage especially Bisaya/Maranao/Maguidanaoan
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews' Core Values
To apply, please submit CV and application our Careers page.