Manager - Africa Centre for Sustainable Development
- The Centre’s Director, acting as the strategic supervisor of the Centre and responsible for the external outreach and representational activities of the Centre;
- The Centre’s Manager, responsible for its day-to-day activities and operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the ACSD Director in performing his/her leadership and conceptual role related to the activities and outreach of the Africa Centre for Sustainable Development;
- Provide the required secretariat services for the effective functioning of the Centre’s Steering Committee;
- Organization of, and reporting for, regular meetings with the donor(s), Steering Committee, joint working group and Advisory Board;
- Ensures the appropriate use and management of resources attributed to the ACSD;
- Promoting, advocating for, and representing the ACSD at key events, as appropriate;
- Support liaison services between UNDP and technical partners, as well as, between UNDP and Italy on interventions and initiatives on the relevant focus areas of ACSD.
- Seek further resources for the center for long-term sustainability;
- Develop an engagement plan with funding partners, especially of the G7, to contribute to the functioning and results of the ACSD;
- Under the guidance of the Director, communicate the value and results of the ACDS to contributors and constituents to advocate for the mandate and role of the ACSD.
- In consultation with the Director, is responsible for recruitment, performance and career management, and supervision of all ACSD staff to motivate and promote organizational excellence;
- Prepare annual work plans and progress reports for the Steering Committee and UNDP;
- Provide financial and budgetary oversight for the funds;
- Advises the Director on operational issues affecting the Center’s delivery and overall operations;
- Identifies approaches and modalities to achieve management targets and increased cost-effectiveness;
- Provide the necessary results and financial reports of the project as per UNDP rules and regulations.
- Support the provision of relevant conceptual inputs related to the activities of the Africa Centre for Sustainable Development.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Ability to engage with other agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships.
- Ability to create and manage processes to achieve UNDP's long and short-term financial goals.
- Knowledge of multilateral agencies (OECD, IFIs, EU, Regional Development Banks, etc.), including respective mandates and ways of working.
- Knowledge of HR management issues and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Ability to manage day-to-day office activities (including but not limited to travel management, facilities and asset management, policy and procedures maintenance) to meet operational needs.
- Knowledge of sustainable development concepts, principles and issues and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations, covering the economic, social and environmental dimensions.
- Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or higher in management, economics, international relations, law, natural or social sciences related to sustainable development.
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant work experience related to sustainable development and climate change;
- Knowledge of, and experience with, project/programme development and management, preferably with documented experience in vertical funds (e.g. GEF; GCF, etc.);
- Previous experience managing staff and operational systems;
- Knowledge of UNDP policies, procedures and practices on operations, travel, procurement, and revenue management desirable;
- Documented experience with, and knowledge of, UN interagency cooperation;
- Prior experience working in developing countries or countries with economies in transition is an asset;
- Knowledge of G7 processes is an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of the English language, with exceptional writing, presentation and communication skills;
- Fluency in Italian and/or French is highly desirable.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.