For over 15 years, IDLO has been assisting Afghanistan to develop a more inclusive, accessible, and professional justice sector. IDLO is currently implementing three projects in Afghanistan covering professional capacity development, access to justice, and a large-scale assessment of the justice sector. In its programmatic work, IDLO has developed a strong partnership with a broad range of Government stakeholders including the Supreme Court, Attorney General’s Office, the Ministry of Justice (among other Ministries), as well as civil society organizations promoting access to justice.
The Finance Unit in Kabul, Afghanistan coordinates the implementation of the finance policies, procedures and guidelines for the Afghanistan Country Office (CO) in order to provide optimum efficient and effective support to IDLO’s programming in Afghanistan. The Finance Manager manages finance activities including the supervision of a finance team in a large office in accordance with the goals and strategic needs of the Organization.
Under the direct supervision of the Country Manager (CM) with a dotted line to the Finance and Grants Manager based in the Headquarters, Rome, Italy the Finance Manager coordinates the implementation of the finance policies, procedures and guidelines for the Country Office to provide optimum efficient and effective support to IDLO’s programming. The incumbent will work in close coordination with all departments at IDLO Afghanistan and Headquarters as needed. Specifically, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties and tasks:
- Lead in the monthly financial close of the Afghanistan Country Office (CO) and the production of monthly financial statements, supporting schedules and reconciliations.
- Prepare relevant financial management reports of the CO, ensuring accuracy and timeliness, taking necessary corrective measures where applicable.
- Performing CO balance sheet account reconciliations on a timely basis and ensuring that differences or discrepancies are addressed in a timely manner.
2. Accounts Payables:
- Process all expenses generated at the CO level ensuring they comply with IDLO policies and procedures, accrual accounting and donor rules and regulations.
- Closely review procurement documents to ensure they comply with IDLO policies and procedures and donor rules and regulations, including but not limited to, ensuring that costs are eligible, program related, supporting documentation is complete, accuracy of amounts and proof of receipt of services or goods prior to payment.
3. Cash and bank management:
- Review and consolidate monthly cash forecasts for the CO ensuring funds are fully reconciled before submitting to HQ for processing. This will include working with program staff to develop accurate cash forecasts.
- Ensure adequate controls around the management and use of cash, including appropriate cash counts and reconciliations on a periodic basis.
- Manage the risk associated with foreign exchange movements ensuring that measures are taken to reduce the CO exposure to forex movements.
4. Grants and budget management:
- Ensure costs are allocated in accordance with the approved program budgets and IDLO chart of accounts.
- Coordinate with program personnel to prepare budgets to support new proposals or realignments and ensure full cost recovery is adopted as applicable.
5. Sub-grants management:
- Conduct, in close coordination with the relevant Field Program Manager (FPM), organizational assessments and regular spot checks assessing risks and quality of implementing partner’s internal process.
- Manage the support employees imbedded with implementing partners.
- Coordinate the sub-granting processes, monitoring and management systems to ensure effective and timely issuance, reporting and oversight of all sub-grants.
- Maintain sub-grant tracking sheet and filing system for all sub-grantees proposals, agreements, financial reports and outstanding advances.
- Review all sub-grant monitoring reports and prepare management summaries of findings and recommendations for discussion with the Field Program Managers, the Field Program Lead and the Country Manager as relevant.
- Ensure each sub-grantee submits financial reports in accordance with sub-grant agreements and review financial reports for reasonableness, verifying consistency in programmatic delivery and financial spending.
6. Filing financial documents:
- Ensure all original documents are properly coded and filed for ease of future reference prior to shipment to HQ.
- Ensure that all electronic copies of all documents shipped to Rome are maintained at the CO, filed electronically and in sequence.
- With guidance from HQ, collaborate with the Operations Manager in Kabul to support HR operations management including leave management and payroll.
7. Audit and compliance:
- Be the lead contact at the CO on audit related exercises, including audits for the implementing partners.
- Support the CO whenever audit requests are submitted, ensuring that the auditors are provided with the necessary supporting documents on a timely manner.
- Ensure that all supporting documentation and audit information is prepared and ready for audit purposes.
- Where applicable, ensure that all copies of audit documentation required are clear, arranged in a systematic manner, cross referenced and forwarded to the auditors on a timely basis.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Master’s degree in business, finance, or related field is required. Professional accounting qualifications are required.
- Minimum of 7 years of substantial professional experience in the field of accounting and financial management preferably within international organizations with donor-funded programs.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
- Demonstrated work experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, preferably with MS NAVISION.
- Experience with spreadsheet (advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel is a must), database and word processing software.
- Experience working with multi-million budgets and multi-partner projects along with US Government donors would be highly desirable.
- Fluency in English is essential. Knowledge of Dari or Pashto would be an advantage.
Specific knowledge, skills, and behavioral competencies
- Significant experience with accounting system management.
- Solid Experience to oversee the Program Finance Management process.
- Knowledge of administrative procedures of an international development agency.
- Proven ability to handle a large volume of work in an effective and timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to see through tasks set and deliver results.
- Proven ability to develop and foster productive working relationships with stakeholders.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Proficient use of other ICT software and internet software.
- A keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
For this internationally recruited Affiliate Professional position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate an affiliate contract for 12 months, with possibility of extension, subject to performance and availability of funding.
IDLO shall offer an annual basic salary commensurate with experience, with a benefits package including provident fund, hardship allowance, medical and mission insurance, leave entitlements including home leave and rest and recuperation (R&R) in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules. Relocation support is also available for internationally recruited employees.
This is a non-family duty station. The Program runs a five-day working week from Sunday to Thursday. Accommodation, cleaning, laundry, and meals are provided in a pleasant, secure, and fully serviced compound. Rigorous security is in place at all times.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs, as necessary.
Application deadline is 30 September 2020 (23:59hrs Rome time).
In the interest of making most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.