Background Information - Job-specific
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects on behalf of UN agencies and bilateral donors and in close coordination with the Government and national authorities. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development and technical management, and provides financial, human resources and infrastructure-related services.
The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, to achieve the outcomes sought by the clients.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
The project will support Iraq in its efforts towards the realization of Agenda 2030 and more specifically contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) 11 “Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable”, by strengthening efforts to protect and safeguard the world’s cultural heritage.
UNOPS will be responsible for undertaking the following, but not limited to:
Interventions on the air conditioning systems of the hall, to make it suitable for the new layout;
Upgrading of the electrical system and the monitoring system TVCC (closed-circuit cameras);
Design and preparation of the space for the exhibition, including gypsum boards and metal skeletons for the internal partition of the hall and the creation of the didactical/ exhibition path;
Procurement and installation of show cabinets, security system and burglar- resistant doors, and illumination system;
General painting and preparation of the floor.
- Summary of functions:
Project Delivery and Performance
Monitoring and reporting
Knowledge management and innovation
Under the overall guidance of the Director Amman Operational Hub, under the direct supervision of the Head of Programme, and in close coordination with the Iraq Programme Advisor; the Project Manager (PM) will be responsible for all aspects of the project life-cycle in accordance with the Project Document, the legal agreement between UNOPS and the donor, and in compliance with Project Management Manual (PMM) as well as the Organizational Directives and Administrative Instructions on Project Management.
The PM must be able to undertake independently, the following tasks:
2. Monitoring and reporting
| 3. Stakeholder engagement |
Work with internal stakeholders to ensure projects comply with audit requirements
Work with procurement/purchasing staff to ensure effective interface with suppliers' quality systems
Coordinate quality reviews of project documents and deliverables
Provide quality control for management outputs (project documents, reports, etc.)
| 5. Knowledge management and innovation |
| 6. Personnel Management |
- A Master’s Degree is required. Preferably in Civil Engineering, Architecture, and/ or Construction Management.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or Architecture in combination with 2 additional years of relevant experience will be accepted in lieu of a Master's Degree.
Minimum of 5 years progressive experience in Programme/ Project Management, with at least 3 years of experience as a Project Manager of buildings (renovation and/or rehabilitation) related projects is required.
Previous experience with international organization/s and/or UN in a humanitarian and/ or conflict/post-conflict settings is required;
Experience in rehabilitation and/ or construction projects is required;
Demonstrated competence in all aspects of project planning, monitoring, and management, including application of all aspects of results-based management/project cycle management;
Proven capacity to interact with a variety of stakeholders, including non-governmental partners, and other UN agencies and international donors is desirable;
- High proficiency with computers, and other software/ platforms related to the positions field of expertise. Good experience in working with the G-Suite platform including, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Gmail, Google Sheets, Docs, and Slides is an asset.
- International Project Manager Association (IPMA Level B) or Project Management Professional (PMP - PMI) or PRINCE2 foundation is desired.
- Fluency in Arabic and English is required.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type:Individual Contractrual Agreement
Contract level: Local ICA Specialist 10
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- This position is open to Nationals ONLY
- Baghdad is not a Family Duty Station
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.