Local Development Specialist
UNDP has been active in Tajikistan since 1994 and has supported the Government and people of Tajikistan through delivery of programmes focused on poverty reduction, economic development, governance, human rights and rule of law, environmental protection, climate change and DRR. UNDP provides upstream policy support and community-based development to marginalized rural populations with the aim of addressing Inequalities of opportunities and promoting more effective, equitable and sustainable development. UNDP delivers on its programme through its presence in Dushanbe and at sub-national level in four (4) locations, namely Kulob, Bokhtar, Gharm and Khujand. This sub-national presence has enabled a long-standing partnership with the local governments (oblast, district and Jamoat levels) and enhanced UNDP’s strategic positioning, coordination and sustainability of results.
UNDP’s Local Implementation and Innovation Centers (LIIC) are geared towards the delivery of three key functions, which are in line with UNDP’s strategic vision at global ad country level, and to the #NextGenUNDP corporate approach.
The LIICs are responsible for provision of implementation, monitoring and reporting services at the project level. In addition, programmatic coherence and coordination will be an important element of this function. This implies implementation oversight from a programmatic and operational perspective. Functions performed as part of project implementation are limited to:
- Provision of technical implementation support
- Project transactions (HR, Procurement, Finance)
- Project activities implementation oversight and reporting
- Project-related liaison with project partners
- Monitoring and Evaluation
In support of CO efforts to enhance its monitoring and evaluation function, the LIICs will be involved in regular collection and analysis of appropriate and credible data as well as will be responsible for capturing the collected data and evidence in relevant monitoring reports.
UNDP Tajikistan will utilize its LIICs to serve as a platform for partnership engagement and policy advocacy at local level and as a mechanism for innovative and participatory design and acceleration of its programming. While UNDP Tajikistan does not have an AccLab, it will adopt a similar approach/methodology for innovation in the delivery of this function.
The LIICs will be responsible of liaison with counterparts in the field. This includes maintaining partnerships and communication channels with local authorities and non-state actors. The LIICs will act as an interface of the projects in the targeted areas and will ensure smooth and effective engagement with the project beneficiaries.
With the aim of strengthening of Kulob LIIC, UNDP Tajikistan seeks to mobilize the skills of a Local development specialist who will be responsible of delivering on above mentioned approach to UNDP’s engagement.
The Local Development Specialist will based in Kulob LIIC and operate under direct supervision of the LIIC Manager and will work in close cooperation with Senior Economic Development Officer and Government Peace and Development officer of UNDP SED Cluster in the delivery of projectized functions and responsible for overall activities related to improving local governance and economic development within the frame of current and future UNDP initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Local Development Specialist will ensure formulation of strategies and provision of policy advice as well as coordination and oversight of activities in the areas of local governance and economic development. More specifically, the scope of responsibilities of the Local Development Specialist include:
Governance and economic development expertise and support
· Lead and supervise assessment of capacity needs of local government officials on strategic planning, resource mobilization and monitoring and evaluation, formulate gender-sensitive capacity development strategies, evaluate capacity development actions;
· Contribute and provide inputs to development of concept papers, proposals, new approaches and strategies on local governance and economic development;
· Coordinate and support in conducting surveys, prepare analysis on the existing issues of local governance and economic development;
· Analyze capacity gaps of local public and private sector in local development, lead development of capacity building programmes and supervise capacity building activities;
· Provide consultative assistance to local government officials and substantive contribution for review and update of District Development Programmes as well as strengthening the monitoring and evaluation system;
· Provide inputs to formulation of the area work plans, monitoring of sub-projects, and prepare an annual review of best practices and lessons learnt in the areas of governance including capacity building, civic awareness and gender mainstreaming;
· Assist in coordinating business and vocational trainings;
· Coordinate the introduction of Business Extension Services to support of private sector representatives;
· Assist in coordinating implementation of microfinance activities;
· Coordinate provision of support to institutional development of private sector support organizations such as farmers' organizations, business associations, and others as appropriate on management, financial sustainability, fundraising and etc.;
· Provide support on implementation of activities related to involving youth into entrepreneurship and development of startup ecosystem;
· In close collaboration with UNDP Kulob LIIC team support implementation and successful completion of rehabilitation/construction of rural economic and social infrustructures as well as improving public service delivery at local level;
· Provide necessary expertise in review of draft legal and normative acts related to public sector reforms and private sector development;
· Provide substantive inputs in the processes of development Public Private Dialogues and Partnerships within the frame of existing initiatives implemented in Kulob LIIC;
· Prepare programme/project impact analysis papers including success stories, case studies
· Provide expertise and comments on relevant documents related to economic and business environment improvement;
· Prepare and update basic statistics information related to economic indicators of the districts;
· Provide programmatic support in planning and implementing programme activities (e.g. support in preparation of project Annual Work Plan, drafting budgets, liaise with contractors, etc);
· Draft ToRs for consultants, experts and service providers and support organizing selection, recruitment and development of mission programmes of international and local experts, as required according to UNDP rules and regulations;
· Contribute to development and ensure due implementation of the local governance and economic development part of UNDP M&E system;
· To conduct monitoring and evaluation of efficiency, effectiveness, impact and sustainability of interventions in governance and economic development domain and provide substantive inputs into LIIC monitoring database related to local governance and economic development;
· Provide substantive inputs in reporting on results in accordance with UNDP and donors’ reporting schedules;
· Provide necessary support on procurement cases and expertise for implementation of other local development initiatives implemented with involvement of Kulob LIIC;
Coordination and collaboration
· Establish and maintain excellent working relations with sub-national government partners and business support organizations;
· Contribute to the effective coordination and cooperation with other development programmes and agencies active in the targeted areas in relation to local governance and economic development;
· Provide consultative and substantive assistance in development and producing knowledge products, case studies, success stories, lessons learnt reports, preparetion of press releases and etc.;
· Collect and prepare information on local governance and economic development issues for Communication and Partnership Specialist for preparation of outreach/visibility materials and assist in their dissemination.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Ensures that programmes and projects are consistent with UN/UNDP values
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Focuses on tasks/activities which have a strategic impact on programme and capacity development activities
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP’s strategic initiatives
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to create and apply knowledge and concepts that will help partners achieve UNDP’s development objectives within the country and regional context
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Programme, managing data, reporting
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems.
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government and represent UNDP in national and regional fora.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals as laid down in the Project Document;
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities;
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high quality standard throughout
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively
Required Skills and Experience
University degree in Economics, Public Administration, Social Science, Political Science, Development Studies or any other development related fields.
- At least 5 years of experience in implementation of local economic development and local governance programmes; proven experience in private sector development, capacity building of local governments, partnership with civil society and private sector organizations in Tajikistan;
- Good knowledge of Tajikistan, and Khatlon region development context, experience of development work in Khatlon region is an asset;
- Previous experience in working for international organizations in related fields is an advantage;
- Proven knowledge of M&E of development projects, including experience in maintenance of (statistic) data, and information sharing;
- Advanced understanding of gender issues in economic development and governance;
- Strong communication and advocacy skills and proven practical experience in communication and donor reporting;
- Strong management capabilities, including the ability to manage conflicting priorities
- and tight timelines is essential for the position;
- Excellent computer skills, including full command of text and spreadsheet programmes;
Working knowledge of English, Fluency in Russian and Tajik
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.