Programme Analyst OCQA
UNDP Zambia is strategically repositioning its country programme implementation based on emerging opportunities and UNDP’s comparative advantages that maximizes partnerships, resource mobilization and impact in keeping with UNDP’s mandate and its current Country Programme Document (CPD) covering the period 2016 – 2021 and embarking on the next programme cycle to support the Government of Zambia through its 8th National Development Plan (8NDP).
In addition, the review of the programme portfolio also showed a pressing need to recalibrate the programme implementation in Zambia through a more integrated vision aligned with the current CPD, the six (06) signature solutions of the current Strategic Plan and the RBA’s strategic offer and where UNDP will fully play its integrator role for accelerating the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Zambia.
As the development world and UNDP Zambia move into 2020, defined as the Decade of Action, with only 10 years left to achieve the SDGs, it is more pressing that UNDP Zambia revisits its approach to programming to ensure both it continues to explore new ways of optimally supporting the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) to achieve the objectives set out in both Agenda 2030 and the 7th National Development Plan (7NDP) using a strategic approach to planning resulting in an efficient and effective delivery of the Country Programme to promote sustainable human development.
Against this backdrop and building upon the lessons learnt over the past months, UNDP Zambia is strengthening its Programme Compliance, Oversight and Compliance (PCOM) Unit, which is a strategic advisory unit supporting both Programmes and Operations Clusters under the direct supervision of the Senior Management of the office through the Deputy Resident Representative (DRR) and the overall oversight of the Resident Representative. The PCOM is composed of three pillars, namely, the Programme Support, the Compliance, Monitoring and Quality Assurance with the last being the Monitoring and Evaluation. Each of these pillars is headed by a Programme Analyst at NOB level. The Compliance pillar also includes a Programme Assistant providing support to the Programme Analyst.
The Programme Analyst - Oversight, Compliance & Quality Assurance reports to the Deputy Resident Representative (DRR) and acts as the technical specialist on all matters related to Overisght, Compliance and Monitoring. S/he leads the CO efforts to identify bottlenecks, discuss challenges to the programme delivery implementation and excellent rating in various corporate dashboards, including the newly designed Integrated Finance Dashboard (IFD). S/he is also expected to strengthen and empower the oversight function as an immediate measure to improve the programme management oversight function, in particular, performing several data clean-up exercises that are critical to key strategic management decisions related to both the office’s resource mobilization and financial sustainability. As a member of the Country Office Management Team (COMT), s/he also helps drive integration of work at all levels. S/he works in close collaboration with the Management Analyst, the Operations Manager and both Programme and Operations sections.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Effective monitoring and oversight of programme and project implementation
- Audit preparation and support to implementation of the recommendations
- Quality Assurance of legal instruments and institutional arrangements
- Capacity building of project and program staff and counterparts
As a member of the CO Management Team (COMT), ensures the effective monitoring and oversight of programme and project implementation for achievement of the following results:
- Act as focal point for all initiatives related to the oversight and monitoring of the office performance, including the monitoring of the corporate Dashboards such as UNDP at Glance, Executive Snapshot, Integrated Finance Dashboard, Integrated Work Plan (IWP);
- Work in close collaboration with the Management Analyst to advise the Senior Management on compliance issues, oversights and all aspects of Internal Control Framework (ICF) for programme and projects;
- Partner with the the Management Analyst on the project aspects of the office performance and implementation all related workplan and leadership initiatives;
- Monitoring all key indicators including the key deliverable calendars;
- Lead periodical closure exercises;
- Strategic oversight of the programme implementation including the tracking and use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Support to the monitoring and evaluation function of the office;
- Support programme-wide initiative as tasked by the Senior Management;
- Ensure quality assurance of the project implementation (CDR reconciliation, risk log, data updates, etc.);
- Continously track the completion and update status among Programme Units in ATLAS (project results and targets, update or monitoring plans, updating of risks and mitigation actions, documents uploads, etc), including other web-based platforms such as transparency dashboards;
- Support Programme and Project Officers to timely close all projects while adhering to corporate standards and steps;
Support to audit preparation and implementation of the audit recommendations, including:
- Advise and provide recommendations on effective internal control framework;
- Support the preparations for the country office and specific project audits;
- Support the high priority projects in the implementation of the audit recommendations;
- Any other tasks as assigned by the DRR Operations and Resident Representative.
Ensure Quality Assurance of legal instruments and institutional arrangements in full accordance with Result Based Management (RBM) practices including:
- Review RBM compliance of legal instruments and institutional arrangements (project documents, Memorandum of Understandings, Memorandum of Agreements, Letters of Agreements, Financing Agreements, etc.);
- Support the implementation of agreed actions to ensure full RBM adherence and keep an up-to-date status;
- Coordinate the feedback of PCOM on advisory support provided to the Senior Management and Programme Units, including on Direct Project Costing (DPC) and other corporate initiatives;
- Review RBM requirements for selected priority projects, in particular requirements for Atlas entries;
- Prepare regular financial reporting on project implementation and budgets against resources available;
- Oversees Donor Reporting and external feedback on RBM questions;
- Review programme and project workplans to ensure they prioritise results in the Country Programme, Integrated Workplan and Project Documents, including evaluations planned for the year as per RBM practices.
Ensure effective capacity building of project and program staff and counterparts including:
- Provide training to new staff on Atlas and UNDP project implementation, including SOP’s for programme and finance related matters;
- Provide training on project implementation to UNDP counterparts, in preparation of the switch from DIM to NIM;
- Prepare manuals for NIM/DIM implementation for project and counterparts;
- Advise project staff on programme finance matters, in particular on budgetary issues;
- Synthesis Synthesize lessons learnt and best practices in Programme Finance;
- Recognized contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Ensuring UNDP has the internal management systems it requires to support the achievement of its objectives, and to function effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to maintain a network of contacts and conduct basic research and analysis
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
- Ability to establish effective client relationships
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Ability to gather, analyze and disseminate information on best practice in accountability.
Financial Planning and Budgeting
- Ability to create and manage processes to achieve UNDP's long and short-term financial goals
- Ability to identify and prioritize risks, and organize action around mitigating them
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Public, Administration, Financial Management, Economics or related field.
- Master’s Degree with 2 years of previous relevant experience or Bachelor’s with 4 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing programme financial management services, accounting and operational systems.
- Experience in programme oversight, monitoring & evaluation and/or auditing
- Experience in capacity strengthening activities, adult learning or as trainer
- Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft (Atlas).
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English with good verbal and writing skills is required
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.