Chief of Executive Office, Social and Human Sciences Sector
Post Number : SHS 024
Grade : P-5
Parent Sector : Social and Human Sciences Sector (SHS)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: Social and Human Sciences
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 16-OCT-2019
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The Chief of the Executive Officer, under the overall authority and direct supervision of the Assistant Director-General for the Social and Human Science Sector (ADG/SHS), will lead the Executive Office (EO) and supervise the provision of the integrated management services at Sector level, in cooperation with the relevant services, and provide strategic advice to the ADG/SHS in the strategic transformation process of the Organisation and in improving management of the Social and Human Sciences Sector.
In particular, the incumbent will:Long Description
1. General management:
- Provide comprehensive, strategic advice and decision-making support to ADG/SHS with regard to the management of the Sector's Programme, budget, human resources, knowledge management and resource mobilization, ensuring follow-up of the ADG/SHS’s decisions;
- Lead the Executive Office in the planning and distribution of assignments, establishing internal procedures ensuring improvement and monitoring, as well as evaluating staff performance, continuous training and development;
- Provide intellectual leadership linked to SHS programmes and keep at the forfront of the issues the sections are dealing with.
- Ensure and follow up information and substantive preprations and provide necessary materials and related elements for good performance of the ADG/SHS for her function, missions and programme activties in line with her daily agenda, including media activities and publicaitons.
2. Supervision of programme planning, monitoring and evaluation:
- Supervise and ensure proper preparation of the Sector's contribution to various documents and reports (Medium-Term Strategy (C/4), the Programme and Budget (C/5), the reports of the Director-General to the Governing Bodies (i.e. General Conference and Executive Board) on the activities of the Organisation and other relevant documents), and ensure appropriate oversight and coordination with Category 2 Centres, UNESCO Chairs and other partners;
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of the Sector's Programme and Integrated Budget, General Conference resolutions and Executive Board decisions; lead and supervise the preparation of work plans to ensure quality reporting thereon in liaison with the Sector's Programme Entities, other Sectors and the relevant services; and ensure coherence between sectoral and field programming, human resources and budget support for Field Offices;
- Supervise the preparation and implementation of the Sector’s evaluation plan.
3. Financial and human resources administration:
- Provide strategic advice to the ADG/SHS and follow up on the management of the Sector’s human resources in collaboration with the Finance and Operational Support Unit and Bureau of Human Resources Management.
4. Oversee information and knowledge management services:
- Supervise the production and provision of the Sector’s information and documentation in all appropriate formats, as well as knowledge creation and diffusion/sharing activities for internal and external audiences.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in the field of social sciences, humanities, or related areas.
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible and relevant professional experience in designing, implementing and monitoring programmes, projects or policies in the field of Social and Human Sciences.
- Relevant experience acquired at the international level.
- Experience in advocacy, resources and partnership mobilization.
- Demonstrated experience in leading, managing and motivating staff and teams.
Skills and competencies
- Excellent knowledge and intellecutal leaderhsip in the field of social and human sciences.
- Strong analytical and drafting capacities.
- Knowledge of strategic planning and change management in an international organization.
- Ability to identify key strategic issues, objectives, opportunities and risks.
- Demonstrated strategic planning, organizational and management abilities, including the capacity to administer programmes, financial resources and exercise appropriate supervision and control.
- Institutional leadership capacity and high sense of objectivity and integrity, diplomacy, tact and political astuteness.
- Ability to interact with a wide range of high-level partners and to participate effectively in high-level negotiation.
- Excellent communication and representational skills.
- Excellent knowledge of either English or French and good knowledge of the other language.
- PhD. or equivalent in social sciences, economics or other related fields.
- Short to medium-term training in disciplines relevant to the post.
- Professional experience in the United Nations System and/or in the field of international relations and diplomacy, multilateral settings/cooperations and development.
- Knowledge of other official UNESCO languages (Arabic, Chinese, Russian and/or Spanish).
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment
UNESCO is committed to promoting geographical distribution (last update) and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.