IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments.
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply for this position
• FAO does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia (REU) is responsible for leading FAO's response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning, and implementation of FAO's priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities through the Regional Initiatives. REU also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization's Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. REU develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs) as well as Civil Society Organizations and the Private Sector.
The Regional Office supports through the Regional Initiatives the regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The position is located in the Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia, Budapest Hungary.
The Senior Policy Officer reports to the Assistant Director General, Regional Representative and maintains regular contact with FAO headquarters in Rome for functional guidance on matters relating to policy and governance support in the food and agricultural sectors.
Provides leadership, guidance for results-based policy assistance and governance work throughout the Region (including the decentralized offices), in relation to regional and sub-regional policy issues, and provides policy guidance to the work of policy and other technical officers in the Region in relation to their work on food security, nutrition and sustainable agricultural and rural development.
Development and implementation of coherent, integrated and effective policy assistance and governance work supporting member states at regional and country level: i) in accordance with the FAO Strategic Framework,in alignment with the Organization's Gender Policy, and its delivery mechanisms, and ii) in response to new policy assistance requests.
• Manages or leads highly specialized or multi-disciplinary teams, and provides technical leadership in high-level policy analysis missions or projects, policy networks and/or international policy setting bodies;
• Leads the work carried out by technical or policy officers from HQ or out-posted staff in the Decentralized Offices in relation to policy and governance work under FAO's strategic framework;
• Advocates strategic partnerships, best practices, and policy dialogue in support of enhanced policies and governance for food and nutrition security, sustainable agriculture and food systems;
• Interacts with UN Regional and Country teams to improve cross-sectoral policies and strategies concerning agriculture, food, and nutrition security and sustainable development;
• Analyzes regional and country-level issues to provide input into the identification of country and regional priorities and requirements;
• Designs, implements and monitors regional and sub-regional policy work programmes and the supporting budgets and/or resourcing strategies;
• Plans, organizes and participates in capacity development activities involving the provision of technical advice and assistance, and oversees the development of related materials, on-line tools and information kits;
• Represents the Organization at international/inter-governmental meetings and conferences
• Leads/provides technical support and quality assurance to the formulation of national, subregional food and nutrition security policies and agricultural and rural development policies, including poverty reduction;
• Provides technical support to FAO strategic partnerships and cooperation initiatives with the relevant REIOs and their member states, UN agencies, and the organized private sector and farmers/traders organizations;
• Leads in the preparation of policy papers and documents relating to EU/EEU, the UN Regional Partners and other regional organizations, which are of interest to the Organization;
• Reviews policy measures in the region and advise regarding the synergies and trade-offs related to their contribution to the SDGs;
• Leads or participates in or contributes to missions for (a) identification, formulation, appraisal and backstopping of national, Subregional and regional programmes and projects in areas of FAO's mandate; (b) review and development of technical cooperation programmes in line with agricultural, food and nutrition security and rural development priorities and frameworks of the region; (c) policy related technical support to FAO Representatives in the formulation/revision of their Common Country Analysis (CCA), UNSDCFs and Country Programming Framework (CPF);
• Leads work planning related to regional policy results considering inter alia digitalization and innovation, contributing to the three Regional Initiatives (RI1, RI2 and RI3) in close collaboration with the Regional Initiative Delivery Managers to strengthen their policy focus to ensures their contribution to the achievement of corporate results;
• Leads the organization of strategic meetings, workshop and dialogue for accelerating implementation of programmes;
• Provides periodic implementation progress updates of the FAO strategic partnerships and cooperation initiatives with the REIOs, and the organized private sector and farmers/traders organizations;
• Promotes partnerships and participation in resource mobilization and communication in coordination with the concerned Divisions, Strategic Programme Leaders and RI delivery managers and Subregional RI focal points.
• Closely liaises with Headquarters divisions related to policy support and policy analysis.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in development economics, political sciences, agricultural economics, economics or related field
• Ten years of experience in policy advice and economic analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Results Focus
• Leading, Engaging and Empowering
• Partnering and Advocating
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Strategic Thinking
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential
• Understanding of complex policy processes, economics related to trade, sustainable development and agenda 2030
• Extent and relevance of experience in policy analysis and advise relating to food and nutrition security, sustainable agriculture, rural development, trade and climate change
• Extent and relevance of experience in formulating regional programmes related to policy support and analysis
• Extent and relevance of experience in dealing with senior government officials, development partners and other country stakeholders including private sector and civil society organization
• Relevance and extent of knowledge and experience in working with inter-governmental bodies and multi-disciplinary teams
• Demonstrated work experience in Europe and Central Asia and particularly with either European Union or Eurasian Economic Union would be a strong asset
• Working knowledge of Russian and/or Chinese is considered a strong asset