Associate Communications Officer
Buenos Aires (Argentina)
Post Number : 3ARIEP0014PA
Grade : NO-B
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Argentina
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 09-NOV-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
(Duration of contract: initially 1 year, with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance [six (6) months probationary period]).
Only nationals of Argentina may apply for this position
As the only specialized organization with the mandate to support educational policy, planning and management, the UNESCO International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP) plays a unique role within the United Nations system. IIEP was established in 1963 as an integral part of UNESCO. It supports ministries of education around the world and other key actors to plan and manage education systems through its programmes of training, technical assistance, policy research and knowledge sharing. Follow this link for more information about IIEP’s global role.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
This position is located in IIEP’s Buenos Aires Office. Under the overall authority of the Director of IIEP and immediate supervision of the Head of Office of IIEP Buenos Aires, and within the framework of IIEP’s mandate and Medium-Term Strategy, the incumbent will be in charge of coordinating, supervising and managing the communicational aspects for all of IIEP Buenos Aires’ activities. This includes projects pertaining to research, technical cooperation and training.
The incumbent will implement IIEP’s global Communications and Branding Strategy, and appropriately adapt it to the Latin American context. The incumbent will lead the development and adaptation of contents and key messages in accordance to the needs and interests of IIEP Buenos Aires’ target audiences. The incumbent will also be in charge of managing IIEP Buenos Aires’ Information Services, which comprises publications both in print and digital format, the building and curating of contact and leads databases, and the integration of Constituent Relationship Management Systems and other digital tools in compliance with global IIEP’s and UNESCO’s parameters. The incumbent will contribute to the creation of performance reports based on IIEP’s Medium-Term Strategy, and specifically to its Strategic Objectives and Key Performance Indicators. The incumbent will also advise and support the Head of Office in matters of strategic communication. Duties ans resposibilities of the post are:
1. Adapt, implement and manage IIEP’s Communications Strategy.
- Identify and propose adaptations of the global strategy to better suit the specificities of the Latin American context and its audiences.
- Supervise the implementation of the Institute’s branding and visual identity guidelines in all new contents, platforms and portals to match said guidelines.
- Design an annual plan for IIEP Buenos Aires, for both internal and external communications.
- In collaboration with IIEP Buenos Aires’ Head of Office and the different Team Leaders and Programme Specialists, generate roadmaps for the communication and marketing of specific projects and programmes.
- Advocate for the efficient and synergic use of communicational resources.
2. Develop and adapt key messages and contents in accordance to the needs and interests of IIEP’s target audiences.
- Identify appropriate content formats, channels and key messages for each of the Institute’s audience segments and stakeholders.
- Generate or obtain appropriate contents for social media, web platforms, newsletters, leaflets, portfolios, and other communicational channels of global IIEP and IIEP Buenos Aires to inform audiences and partners timely about IIEP’s mandate and activities.
- Build and nurture relationships with media partners to strengthen and broaden the scope of IIEP’s outreach efforts.
3. Manage IIEP Buenos Aires’ Information Services.
- Administrating the accounts of social media platforms, websites and other digital tools.
- Managing and overseeing all steps of the editorial process for IIEP Buenos Aires’ publications and official documents, in collaboration with global IIEP’s Information Services Unit.
- Informing and curating institutional contacts and leads databases.
- Integrating, informing and administrating the Constituent Relationship Management tools applied in IIEP Buenos Aires in accordance to the parameters set by global IIEP and UNESCO.
- Liaising permanently with the Information Services Teams in the Paris and Dakar Offices, to align globally all key outreach efforts and tools.
4. Contribute to the creation of performance reports based on IIEP’s Medium-Term Strategy for the Buenos Aires Office.
- Prepare annual reports on the communications activities performed in IIEP Buenos Aires.
- Develop the annual IIEP Buenos Aires’ activities report in collaboration with the Executive Officer.
- Inform IIEP’s Key Performance Indicators pertaining to Communications and Information Services.
- Contribute to the monitoring of Communications and Information Services goals, in line with IIEP’s Strategic Objectives and Thematic Priorities.
5. Advise and provide support to IIEP Buenos Aires’ Head of Office.
- Advise on IIEP Buenos Aires’ strategic communication.
- Develop an internal institutional communications strategy, in collaboration with IIEP Buenos Aires’ management team.
- Participate in commissions, boards and any other inter-agency cooperation processes within the United Nations system.
- Support IIEP Buenos Aires’ Head of Office and management team in institutional activities, as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communications or related fields.
- At least two years of progressively responsible relevant experience in the field of communications, acquired preferably in an international organization or in the public sector.
- Experience in organising international-scale events.
- Experience in social media websites and other digital tools.
- Experience in copywriting, graphic/multimedia design, and/or creative direction.
- Familiarity with the field of educational planning.
- Experience in e-publishing.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent understanding of the educational systems of Latin America and the education policy agenda of the region.
- Knowledge of communications and branding strategies adapted to the Latin American context.
- Knowledge and proven in e-publishing
- Knowledge of institutional communications best practices.
- Ability to develop an institutional communications strategy adapted to the Latin American context.
- Ability to lead and manage teams and delegate tasks.
- Ability to take initiative, rapidly learn and adapt in the post.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of English and Spanish.
Skills and Competencies
Expertise in the use of the following tools:
- Drupal-based web portals
- Mass-mailing platforms
- Adobe Creative Cloud (CC) software, particularly Adobe Illustrator and Adobe InDesign
- Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) tools
- Survey tools, such as SurveyMonkey
- Knowledge of Portuguese.
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which, where applicable, may include 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc. For more information on benefits and entitlements, please follow this link:ICSC booklet
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted. The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.