Lao People's Democratic Republic
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are currently seeking qualified candidate to fill in the Communications Officer post, this position will support the Country Office communication and partnership work.
All applications will be reviewed and shortlisted candidates will undertake an written assessment and interview process. There is deadline of application on 22 October 2020.
ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE? Selected candidates may be asked to serve the WFP as soon as possible. Please visit our videos on the corporate recruitment website to get a taste of life as WFP worker: http://www.wfp.org/about/vacancies
- Implement the WFP Laos communication work plan designed to maintain and enhance the visibility and reputation of WFP to Lao audiences and local stakeholders.
- Maintain a contact list of journalists and media outlets, prepare press releases and support the flow of news/ information about WFP’s work to the media, in order to support regular and appropriate communications.
- Develop social media content, including photos, slideshows, videos and post texts and utilize platforms, networks and partners to enhance coverage and support of WFP’s activities in Lao PDR.
- Design materials for use with WFP beneficiaries in line with methodologies of Social Behaviour Change Communications and community mobilization.
- Generate donor-specific visibility content including reports and factsheets with full design concepts in order to support global and country fundraising activities, ensuring consistency with corporate messaging.
- Support WFP handovers and events, and lead WFP participation in dedicated events (e.g. World Food Day, UN Day etc.).
- Plan and deliver on- and offline communications campaigns.
- Monitor social media conversations and public discussions, and alert the supervisor to reputational risks.
- Manage WFP Laos’ merchandise stock.
- Liaise with suppliers, WFP procurement, finance and admin units in support of producing value-for-money, quick-delivery printed products and merchandise.
- Design and deliver training of trainers in cooperation with programme teams, particularly on questions around community mobilization, social media ethics, accountability to beneficiaries and gender-based violence.
- Supporting the HR unit in posting vacancy notices on social media.
- Occasionally, depending on availability, support internal communications efforts via the WFP Laos Staff Association (designs and event delivery).
- Use social media benchmarking to track results of communications campaigns and grow audiences.
Education: Advanced university degree in Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications, English, Marketing or other relevant field, or first university degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/ courses.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Lao
- Photography and videography, including film editing skills
- Desktop publishing skills (Adobe Creative Suite, Canva)
- Strong design eye with ability for colour matching, framing and proportion, as well as attention to detail and artistic inclination
Excellent people skills, a motivated self-starter with strong ability to judge
At least 3 years of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience and a proven track record as a communications, advocacy or marketing specialist, journalist or spokesperson or experience in working with social media.
Experience in working in the development sector, with multilateral organizations constitutes an asset.
Contract type: Fixed Term Contract (NOA)
Contract duration: One year renewal
Duty Station: Vientiane
Opening date: 13 October 2020
Closing date: 22 October 2020
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.