Communications, IT, Innovation and Knowledge Management Officer-SB3 Rwanda Nationals Only
I. Organizational Context
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women Rwanda has been working with the Government, UN Partners, Civil Society, the Private Sector, Development Partners and other key partners to promote gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls in the country through its programmes.
Description of responsibilities
Under direct supervision of the National Programme Officer and overall guidance from the Head of Office, the Communications, IT, Innovation and Knowledge Management officer will be responsible for providing communications, IT and knowledge management support to the Country Office, by implementing the communications strategies to drive and support advocacy efforts to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment, as well as increase UN Women’s visibility with partners, the media and the public.
Duties and Responsibilities
II. Functions and key results expected
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support Implementation of the Communications and Advocacy Strategy,
- Contribute to the formulation and implementation of an innovation strategy for the country office
- Documentation, Knowledge Management and Sharing,
- Strengthen internal communications,
- Liaison with the United Nations Communications Group (UNCG) and the UN Women Regional and Headquarters Communications Team to feed national initiatives into corporate communications initiatives and vice versa,
- Provide web management services and administrative support regarding ICT issues,
The Communications, IT, Innovation and Knowledge Management Officer will be expected to:
- Contribute to the implementation of the Communications and Advocacy Strategy
- Support development of communications plans and strategies, production of communications materials and organization of events and activities;
- Enhance the Country Office and its Programmes' visibility among national and international audiences through the production and dissemination of high quality and high impact human-interest stories;
- Support the implementation of UN Women’s corporate campaigns such as HeForShe, Generational Equality and Global Media Compact;
- Administer and manage UN Women Rwanda’s social media platforms and update the Country Office page on the UN Women Africa and One UN websites;
- Support engagement and management of media relations, including updating and maintaining the database of community, national and regional media contacts, bloggers and influencers;
- Ensure high visibility of UN Women in key national and international events/campaigns; and
- Participate in the UNCG meetings and contribute to the efforts of Communicating as One and mainstreaming gender in the ONE UN Rwanda communications.
- Documentation, Knowledge Management and Sharing
- Support implementation of the Country Office Knowledge Management Strategy (this is the role of the NPO)
- Produce and disseminate communication materials for the Country Office including office brochure and thematic programme fact sheets;
- Develop and disseminate Country Office quarterly newsletter to relevant partners, as well as contribute to the UN Rwanda and Un Women Regional Newsletter;
- Conduct comprehensive media monitoring of UN Women’s work in the media and share stories on gender equality and women’s empowerment with programme staff to inform programming and partnerships;
- Coordinate and provide videography and photography documentation of all UN Women initiatives/activities and manage the country office Flickr account;
- Develop and maintain the country office repository system that contains all publications by the Country Office and IPs.
- Synthesize lessons learned and best practices in ICT.
- Provide IT and web management support Identify opportunities and ways of converting business processes into web-based systems to address the issues of efficiency (office management system, knowledge management systems);
- Provide advice to the procurement of new ICT equipment for the office, provide technical specifications and information on best options in both local and international markets, review quotations and bids;
- Maintain inventory and stock of supplies and spare parts in cooperation with the Procurement Unit;
- Provide ICT support to key events, as required.
- Programme support
- Provide communications advice and support to programme staff and partners as required, including with media relations, documentation and reporting of success stories and events, quality control of branding and documentation, and generally to improve communications capacity;
- Contribute to the innovation portfolio of the Country Office;
- Technically lead the development and management of the BuyFromWomen Digital Platform;
- Provide any other knowledge management and communications support as needed.
Core Values / Guiding Principles
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of the Programme unit including logistical support;
- Ability to provide input to business process re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new data management systems;
- Creates, edits and presents information in clear and presentable formats, using appropriate IT functionality;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints;
- Ability to establish, build and sustain effective relationships with Implementing Partners,
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondences and reports information and workflow;
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Knowledge Management, Information management systems or related field
- At least 2 years of professional experience in the communications field;
- Strong technological awareness and solid experience using a range of standard IT software;
- Demonstrated experience in the capture, development, communication and effective use of information;
- Computer literacy, electronic networks, and software used for communication purposes (i.e. Websites, electronics bulletin, etc.);
- Good experience with new media and generating web content;
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset;