Duty Station\: Bonn, Germany
Date for Entry on Duty\: As soon as possible
The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) is an inter-governmental organisation headquartered in Abu Dhabi, mandated to promote the widespread and increased adoption and sustainable use of all forms of renewable energy in the pursuit of sustainable development, energy access, energy security and low-carbon economic growth and prosperity. IRENAâs mission is to play a leading role in the ongoing transformation of the global energy systems as a centre of excellence for knowledge and innovation, a global voice of renewable energy, a network hub for all stakeholders and a source of advice and support for countries. At present, IRENA has 160 Members (159 States and the European Union) that acceded to its Statute, and 23 additional States in the process of accession and actively engaged.
The Agency implements its mandate with the view to sustainable development, increased energy security and low-carbon economic growth and prosperity.
Objectives of the Internship Assignment
The internship post is in the REmap (Renewable Energy Roadmaps) sub-programme within the IRENA Innovation and Technology Centre. The intern will provide support to the work of the REmap team in 2020, particularly in the implementation of the ongoing renewable energy roadmaps for countries and regions. IRENAâs REmap programme continually engages with countries by means of detailed country, regional and global analysis and reports. To that end, an extensive set of country-specific information need to be collected, harmonized and maintained. That includes country background information, general information about the economy, energy statistics, energy plans and projections, resource availability, energy policies, energy pricing, etc. From the analysis of that information, the REmap programme is able to explore the options for renewable energy uptake in countries and regions using the REmap methodology and tool. In addition to that ongoing effort, the REmap programme is continuously strengthening its analytical capabilities relating to longer term decarbonization, power system analysis and understanding of renewables in transport, industry and cities. This is accomplished by improving existing energy analysis tools and developing new ones, mainly using Excel.
In line with the objectives outlined above, the intern is expected to perform a range of technical and organizational functions, including but not limited to\:
- Research, analyse and summarize energy-related information at the country level gathered from diverse sources;
- Contribute to the assessment of established and emerging renewable energy technology options in terms of potentials, costs and various social, economic and environmental impacts;
- Contribute to sector, national and regional analysis to support renewable energy roadmaps development in the REmap framework;
- Prepare short texts, presentations and figures based on REmap analysis results and data;
- Assist with general programme administration and operation.
During the internship period, the successful applicant will develop an understanding of the REmap process and methodology, including, in particular, issues related to energy planning, energy technology assessment and energy system decarbonization. The intern will also be able to further develop their skills related to data research, quantitative analysis, analytical thinking and report drafting.
The internship is for a period of six months commencing as soon as possible. The exact period will be determined based on the availability of the intern and the needs of the programme. The maximum duration of the internship is nine months, subject to the internâs continued university enrolment and performance.
- Candidates must have completed an undergraduate degree and be enrolled in a Master's or doctorate programme at a recognized university at the time of application and for the duration of the internship or have recently graduated and be accepted into the internship programme within six months of their graduation.
- Candidates must be fluent in English (both oral and written) and demonstrate excellent writing and communication skills.
- Candidates must demonstrate good knowledge of energy analysis both at the macro level (e.g. national energy balances) as well as micro level (e.g. techno-economic assessment of energy technologies).
- Candidates must demonstrate high level of numeracy and ability to deal with energy data and its analysis, in particular using Excel software;
- Competencies\: Candidates should demonstrate solid teamwork, planning and organizing, professionalism and communications skills.
- Candidates must be able to work in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment.
- Preference is given to candidates studying in the fields of engineering, technology and economics with good understanding of energy analysis.
- Candidates should indicate in their cover letter the period of availability.
IRENA internships may be remunerated if an intern is not already sponsored by their government, university or institution. In such cases, the intern is requested to indicate their sponsorship in their cover letter.
Interns of IRENA are not considered to be staff members. The selected intern will work on a full-time basis (40 hours per week) at the IRENA premises in Bonn, Germany.
For more detailed information about IRENA Internship Programme, please visit the internships section on our recruitment webpage.
Candidates who are interested in this assignment and meet the minimum requirements must apply for the abovementioned vacancy on-line, through IRENAâs recruitment platform, Taleo by submitting a complete and comprehensive CV and a letter of interest. Due to the high number of applications, only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for a pre-recorded and/or telephone interview.
IRENA wishes to encourage applications from female candidates and from nationals of LDC and SIDS countries.
 If the selected intern is not otherwise sponsored and they are recruited outside of the commuting distance to the selected duty station they will be remunerated at a rate of EUR 900 a month plus monthly accommodation rate of EUR 500 for Bonn. In addition, the organization will pay for and arrange the internâs travel to and from the duty station for those interns who are selected from outside of the commuting area to its premises in Bonn.