Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) seeks to build peace through international cooperation in Education, the Sciences and Culture, focusing on the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals in Agenda 2030.
In 2018, UNESCO Phnom Penh office was designated as the Grant Agent for the fixed part of the 3rd consecutive Global Partnership for Education grant to support the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport (MoEYS) in implementing the Strengthening Teacher Education Programmes in Cambodia (STEPCam), over a three year period from 2018-2021. More information about STEPCam, please visit our Website: https://en.unesco.org/node/312806
A joint decision has been made to develop a Master of Education (MEd) Curriculum Framework that focuses on, but is not limited to, upgrading Cambodian teacher educators’ content knowledge, teaching methodology, ICT, and research capacity for pre-primary, primary, and secondary education. Following the approval of the MEd Curriculum Framework, an MEd curriculum for PTTC Teacher Educators will be developed.
At this end the Royal University of Phnom Penh (RUPP), National Institute of Education (NIE), and Phnom Penh Teacher Education College (PTEC) will work together on this task under the coordination of the Teacher Training Department (TTD).
UNESCO Phnom Penh seeks to engage an experienced consultant (National or International) based in Cambodia to lead the process to support MoEYS and UNESCO in developing this MEd curriculum framework and curriculum.OVERVIEW
Parent Sector : Field Office
Duty Station: Phnom Penh
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Non Staff
Duration of contract : From 7 to 11 months
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 02-NOV-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
SCOPE OF ASSIGNMENT
The consultant will work under the overall authority of the UNESCO Representative in Cambodia, the supervision of the Chief of the Education Unit, and direct supervision of the STEPCam Programme Manager.
The consultant will work in close consultation and collaboration with the STEPCam team, a technical working group led by TTD, and other relevant technical departments of the MoEYS. The technical working group is expected to comprise representatives from RUPP, NIE, PTEC, Department of Higher Education, and Accreditation Committee of Cambodia. Specifically, the consultant is expected to complete for submission and approval to the Minister of Education:
1) Master of Education (MEd) Curriculum Framework for Teacher Educators for pre-primary, primary, and secondary education;
2) MEd curriculum for PTTC Teacher Educators
Find the full teams of reference at:
The duration of the contract will be for a period of 8 months, from November 2020 to June 2021 during which the Consultant is expected to provide 40 Days technical assistance. It is expected the Consultant will be based at the TTD for the duration of the contract to closely liaise with the technical working group, relevant departments and DPs. TTD will provide a work station, printer and wireless connections, while the Consultant will use his/her own laptop. Missions to the field, when required, will be organized and financially covered (DSA and TA) by TTD in alignment with STEPCam PIM guidelines.REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A relevant Master degree or PhD in education or social science;
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in education and teacher training in Cambodia;
- Knowledge of education sector in Cambodia, including on-going reforms, especially those benefiting teachers and teacher educators;
- Experience in curriculum development and human resource capacity development;
- Experience in quality assurance in education, especially in teaching and learning, would be a strong asset;
- Knowledge of concepts of life-long-learning education and continuous professional development;
- Excellent planning, inter-personal, facilitation, and coordination skills;
- Excellent written and spoken Khmer and English;
- Previous working experience with Ministry of Education, international organization, such as NGOs or UN in Cambodia or abroad, preferably in education, is considered essential.
Only candidates entitled to work in Cambodia can apply. All interested candidates are kindly requested to apply and submit the following documents:
- A letter of interest explaining how your qualification and experience make you suitable for the position, providing daily rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume (UNESCO CV Form should preferably be used, but not compulsory). Including contract details of three referees
Your application should be submitted on-line at this UNESCO Career Portal, no later than 2 November 2020 (23.59.00 GMT+0700 SE Asia Standard Time).ASSESSMENT
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment
UNESCO is committed to promoting geographical distribution (last update) and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.