REACH Database Officer- Uganda (Nationals only)
Position: REACH Database Officer- Uganda
Contract duration: Fixed
Duty Station: Kampala-Uganda (with occasional field visits)
Anticipated Starting Date: Mid November 2020
ACTED is an independent international, private, non-partisan and non-profit organization that operates according to principles of strict neutrality, political and religious impartiality, and non-discrimination.
ACTED was created in 1993 to support populations affected by the conflict in Afghanistan. Based in Paris, France, ACTED now operates in 38 countries worldwide. ACTED sectors of intervention include emergency relief, food security, health promotion, economic development, education & training, microfinance, local governance & institutional support, and cultural promotion. For more information, please visit our website at www.acted.org.
BACKGROUND ON IMPACT
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian NGO, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organization manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative. The IMPACT team comprises specialists in data collection, management and analysis and GIS. IMPACT was launched at the initiative of ACTED, an international NGO whose headquarter is based in Paris and is present in thirty countries. The two organizations have a strong complementarity formalized in a global partnership, enabling IMPACT to benefit from ACTED’s operational support on its fields of intervention.
Under the functional management of the REACH Senior Assessment Officer and technical supervision of the GIS/Database Manager, the Database Officer is responsible for an accurate, timely and efficient consolidation of the database from the data collected from the field. The Database Officer will be responsible for coding survey tools, performing data quality control, tracking data collection progress, downloading, storing and managing datasets, and contributing to the REACH team in terms of delivering high quality outputs. When available and required, he/she will support with other REACH data collection activities.
The Database Officer will also support Assessment Officers and Field Officers in organizing and managing the data collection enumerators. Furthermore, he/she will support the assessment team in developing and testing tools for data collection, specifically ODK and Kobo.
The Database Officer position is based in Kampala, but may require occasional field visits depending on the needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Data processing and management:
- To process data and information from the field – in particular ensure quality, consistency, accuracy, truthfulness, comprehensiveness of all collected data
- To enter all data and figures as needed into the database in a consistent, accurate and efficient manner
- To provide routine data checking logs or reports to field staff so that follow ups can be made to ensure the accuracy and consistency of collected
- To provide data outputs upon request
- To maintain up-to-date databases as required
- Contribute to research design and tool development by coding survey instruments
Data Quality Control:
- Daily checking and cleaning of raw data, whilst logging any and all changes made to the original data
- Following up with field officers and enumerators about identified problems and mistakes identified in the data
- Design and develop tools to improve data cleaning and analysis
- Work with each field staff and/or enumerator individually where repeated data entry issues to address in the cleaning process and flag up for general improvement
- Provide trainings on data processing and management, data quality control, and tool coding to other IMPACT staff
- Communicates with the line manager and relevant staff for any difficulty linked to his/ her tasks and proposes possible solutions
- Respects ACTED security procedures and ensures these procedures are set-up and respected in the site by all ACTED staff members
- Daily reporting to the Field Manager and Assessment Officer regarding the progress of data collection.
- Providing regular reports to the Field Officers at frequent intervals on the progress of the implementation of the assessment activities and on relevant observations during the mission;
- Flagging any concerns about enumerator performance to Field Officers immediately to ensure the highest quality data.
- Submitting general monthly evaluation of enumerators to Field Officers and Assessment Officers.
- The REACH Database Officer will contribute towards the identification and implementation of effective and adapted technical solutions and partnerships. The REACH Database Officer will provide technical backstopping of database to GIS/DB team and provide capacity-building to GIS/DB team related to database management.
Any other tasks need to ensure the success of the IMPACT mission
The REACH Database Officer may be called upon to work on other IMPACT programmes in various locations in country as needs dictate and the security situation allows
Confidentiality and Data Protection
- The REACH Database Officer will maintain the strictest confidentiality of data and processes. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of information and data.
Accountability to Communities and Beneficiaries
- The staff member is responsible for ensuring that all relations with the communities IMPACT and partners work are conducted in a respectful and consultative manner. Due attention must be paid to ensuring that communities are adequately consulted and informed about IMPACT programme objectives, activities, beneficiary selection criteria, and methodologies. This is the responsibility of every IMPACT staff member.
Qualifications and Experience
- Excellent academic qualifications, including a Bachelor degree in Statistics, Economy, GIS, Information Systems, or relevant discipline;
- Minimum of 2.5 year of experience working in information management, database management, or a related field
- Proven experience in data processing and/or analysis (using either SPSS, Python, or R preferably);
- Advanced MS Excel skills (advanced usage of formulas, pivot tables, lookup functions)
- Considerable experience using ODK for quantitative data collection
- Considerable experience creating and coding ODK questionnaires
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
- Experience with industry standard mapping tools, especially ESRI products is desired;
- Excellent team working skills
- Good organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with remote staff in an effective and efficient manner
- Ability to think creatively in terms of tool and process development
Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
Fluency in English and national languages required
Ability to work independently
Qualified Uganda *Nationals* with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org and received on or before 5.00PM on 30th October 2020 with the subject line “REACH DATABASE OFFICER” Note that applications sent without this exact subject line will not be shortlisted.
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of the recruitment process request candidates to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behavior and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants, and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconduct. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.