Digital Solutions Officer
London (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Digital Solutions Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Digital Solutions Unit is responsible for the project coordination, delivery and overall maintenance of all external UNHCR websites including www.unhcr.org, RefWorld and other country/language sites. www.unhcr.org and its affiliated sites are one of the most important communication vehicles for UNHCR reaching over 10 million users annually. The incumbent will execute a range of activities that helps to deliver an excellent user experience across the UNHCR ecosystem of public websites and mobile applications.
S/he reports the Digital Solutions team leader. The Digital Solutions Officer is expected to assume independent responsibility for prioritisation of day-to-day work.
The Digital Solutions Officer is responsible for ensuring that UNHCR's digital presence projects are well coordinated and delivered according to industry best practices and UNHCR web presence standards. The incumbent works with the other specialist technicians in the Digital Solutions Unit implementing new features and websites and provides peer-level guidance to other team members of design, quality control, presentation, and conformity to standards ensuring that established technical standards are met. This function is critical to the success of the existing UNHCR websites according to the organization¿s global website standards.
¿ Daily contact with the other specialist technicians in the Digital Solutions team
¿ Regular contact with other digital specialists in the Digital Marketing, Campaigns and E-commerce Units
¿ Regular contact with the project¿s stakeholders
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Support the Digital Solutions Unit projects to deliver websites and mobile applications in a timely manner and according to priorities and budgets. UNHCR¿s web presence is built on Drupal, WordPress and custom PHP Symfony solutions and knowledge of these Content management systems and development technologies is required.
- Identify opportunities for Digital Service improvement
- Liaise with other offices and teams in order to plan, coordinate and implement any expansion of UNHCR's digital presence.
- Propose the design and methodology to be undertaken to implement new feature requests.
- Propose website enhancements particularly in relation to dynamic display of content from sources.
- Assist the Senior Digital Solutions Officer in drafting proposals relating to digital projects.
- Coordinate projects for the development and maintenance of new or existing websites including the delivery of new features or new languages, according to specifications and UNHCR web development standards.
- Perform other duties, as required.
Additional duties for Website development roles:
- Ensure that the UNHCR websites and mobile applications are delivered according to Business requirements and comply with the standards for public websites, data protection and security policies
- Develop and test websites and new features according to Agile methodology / CI-CD / code versioning best practices
- Write well designed, testable, secure, efficient code by using best software development practices
- Troubleshoot and fix issues in production
- Advise on Website architecture and optimum use of Drupal technology
- Monitor uptime, performance, security across the UNHCR portfolio and identify areas of improvement
- Produce technical documentation, user guides, standards
- Create website layout/user interfaces by using standard HTML/CSS practices
- Integrate data from various back-end services and databases
- Implement web development best practices and standards
- Decide on technologies and platforms
Additional duties for Project Management roles:
- Ensure that the workflow and tasks for the development team and external development agencies are prioritized
- Maintain the websites and mobile applications projects portfolio
- Facilitate daily scrum, sprint planning, sprint demo and retrospective meetings. Manage the scrum process with the coordination of scrum team in Agile methodology
- Provide input on policy, guideline issues and strategic technical direction to the Senior Digital Solutions Officer
- Assist, coach, and mentor junior members of staff in their duties as part of the web team. Provide support to other team members in relation to design decisions, and adherence to consistency across UNHCR digital platforms.
- Monitor digital developments and make appropriate innovative digital developments
- Implement Agile methodologies and enforce necessary scrum meetings
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P3/NOC - 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Software development; Web Project Management; Web Application development;
Quality management; Applications support; Web Security;
Computer Science; Computer engineering; Web Technologies;
Web Design; or other relevant field.
Certificates and/or Licenses
ITIL V3 Foundation Level;
Agile Project Management;
Relevant Job Experience
- Minimum 6 years of professional experience in digital development and/or web project management, mainly at international level.
- In-depth knowledge of Agile methodology and frameworks including Scrum. Strong knowledge of Scrum theory, rules and practices.
- Solid experience with code versioning solutions including GitHub.
- Extensive knowledge of W3C standards and protocols.
- Knowledge of the basic fundamentals of iterative and incremental development, continuous integration and delivery (CI-CD).
- Thorough understanding of website navigation, usability design and testing methodologies (focus groups, card sorting, storyboarding, contextual inquiry etc.).
- Experience developing and supporting websites and/or mobile applications.
- Experience of developing for mobile devices.
- Knowledge of web security issues including OWASP vulnerabilities.
- Understanding of UNHCR's external relationships, and ability to discern when the organization's credibility is at stake.
- For Website development, experience in: UX/design/prototyping; managing domain names; evaluating and implementing web security measures; using digital asset management systems; digital analytics and performance reporting.
- For Project management roles, experience in managing Digital development projects under Agile methodology; digital development outsourcing in facilitating scrum meetings; interfacing with projects stakeholders; web applications QA.
CO-Graphic design, website design
IT-Web Server Technology
CO-Experience with digital analytics and performance reporting
IT-IT Business Relationship Management
IT-Business Analysis (BA)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X003L3 - Technological Awareness Level 3
X005L3 - Planning and Organizing Level 3
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for vacancies in this addendum is Thursday 29 October 2020 (midnight Geneva time).