Snr Digital Strat & Plann Off
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Senior Digital Strategy and Planning Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Digital Engagement team advises on, creates and delivers digital strategies and solutions for engaging with UNHCR¿s primary audiences, including the public, partners, governments, refugees and staff.
In addition, to drive digital transformation and excellence across the organization, the team provides training and capacity building across the full range of digital communication and marketing skillsets.
The Senior Digital Strategy and Planning Officer plays a crucial role supporting the development of digital strategies across Divisions and Bureaux to effectively deliver against their communication and engagement objectives with their target audiences. The role works closely with colleagues across DER and other Divisions including those working in resource mobilisation and communications. This is a Standard position in the Digital Engagement Section, that requires in-depth experience of digital channels. This is across all digital disciplines including but not limited to digital strategy development, digital marketing methodology, engagement with digital partners and digital communications.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Support the Chief of Section Digital Engagement with the development and implementation of the digital strategy.
- Arrange and run consultations, capacity building events and communication sessions with local, regional and HQ staff
- Facilitate measurement and progress towards the digital transformation goals.
- Develop and monitor digital engagement targets and performance. Review digital performance and provide feedback in relation to the digital transformation strategy.
- Support Divisions and Bureaus with initiatives that further their digital transformation
- Support with developing training, guidance and best practice across relevant digital disciplines
- Ensure national and regional staff have effective digital training and capacity building program in place.
- Ensure digital experiences are designed and developed with full consideration of end user needs, and that any audience research and testing take into account the diversity of our end users.
- Ensure all experiences are viewed through the lens of disability inclusion to ensure a high level of access and usability for those with disabilities.
- Lead on digital partnership initiatives as they relate to UNHCR¿s global digital engagement goals.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Additional Duties for roles with Audience Engagement
- Ensure that digital engagement strategies are developed and implemented effectively for priority audiences including persons of concern, supporters, governments and partners.
- Advise Divisions and Bureaus on the development of digital engagement campaigns from platform creation through to end impact analysis.
- Work across DER to deliver digital first campaigns for the new cross cutting supporter engagement strategies and engaging site experience strategies.
- Develop inclusive engagement approaches and solutions for persons of concern ensuring they are consulted and included in solution development.
- Carry out audience analysis including audience research, persona development, interviews, focus groups, etc.in order to ensure a user-led digital experience
- Put in place User Experience testing to ensure digital platforms / experiences achieve the established goals
- Ensure a consistent and impactful user journey is in place from promotion to conversion.
- Ensure global web content is of high quality, optimised for search and meets best practice standards.
- Manage the following specialists: Web publisher, Communicating with Communities Officer, Site Content strategist and Digital Campaign Manager.
- Have oversight over our global web publishing, national site management and capacity building, and maintaining a high quality audience experience across digital properties and channels.
Additional Duties for Regional Roles (New York only in bold)
- Support offices with digital strategy, planning and delivery and how best to use digital channels to support their communications goals.
- Manage and oversee the workflow of the Regional digital engagement support team. Ensure these colleagues help local offices and teams to identify how best to utilise channels, tools, and resources to meet their digital engagement goals.
- Work with regional support colleagues to monitor and optimise offices¿ digital programs, including attending digital reviews and planning meeting where needed.
- Supervise Regional Digital Managers affiliate workforce in line with UNHCR staff performance guidelines and policy.
- Cultivate relationships with digital teams within other UN agencies, and work towards fostering joint knowledge sharing and partnership.
- Act as a focal point/liaison for HQ on UNHCR/UN partnerships as related to digital engagement. Identify key opportunities for UNHCR digital engagement within UNGA and other key UN events.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P4 - 9 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 8 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 7 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
*Communications, Marketing, Digital Media
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
- 9 years¿ experience within Digital marketing and communications.
- 5+ years providing global support and oversight experience preferably in a UN organization, with proven exposure to supporting offices with developing their digital strategy.
- Proven experience with developing a global digital strategy within a UN or International organization context. Experience developing a framework for measuring and implementing digital strategy in a UN or International organization context.
- High level end user understanding of digital engagement principles such as effective relationship management, digital analytics, marketing automation and ad serving platforms.
- Proven experience in managing a geographically distributed team.
- Proven experience in building digital capacity in regions including specific experience supporting offices in the Americas, Europe and Africa.
- Experience working in or with digital marketing and communications agencies working on global campaigns and clients
- Strong understanding of digital transformation and ability to identify how digital is shifting organizational strategies.
- Strong stakeholder management and meeting facilitation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to motivate others.
- Excellent vendor communications/relations skills.
MG-Client Relationship Management
*FR-Experience in Private Sector Fundraising
FR-Fundraising (incl. operations, programmes)
*FR-Private Sector Fund Raising (PSFR) techniques
*UN-UN Systems and Processes
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M005L3 - Leadership Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
X005L3 - Planning and Organizing Level 3
X003L3 - Technological Awareness Level 3
X008L3 - Stakeholder Management Level 3
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for vacancies in this addendum is Thursday 29 October 2020 (midnight Geneva time).