Financial Analyst II
Baltimore (United States of America)
A leading global humanitarian and development agency, Catholic Relief Services (CRS) reaches over 130 million people across more than 110 countries. Since 1943, we have built strong partnerships with local communities, governments, and organizations around the world, creating renowned programming and operations that produce tangible results and make us a trusted partner. Our mission is lasting transformation of individual lives and entire societies—change that requires significant resources.
Government funding and philanthropy alone are insufficient to address the urgent and multidimensional issues of poverty and injustice affecting our world. Impact investing presents a unique opportunity to bring further innovation, scale, and sustainable solutions to programs that address the needs of vulnerable people and communities. CRS uses its own capital to pilot and scale innovative investment approaches and bring together investors to address market gaps.
The Financial Analyst will be an integral part of the Impact Investing team, providing investment analysis, due diligence and portfolio management support for CRS impact investing enterprise opportunities and investment vehicles. In this role, he/she will contribute to the growth of CRS’ impact investing portfolio and will provide support to team leadership in the identification, financial modelling and analysis, impact analysis, due diligence and execution of investment opportunities with significant social impact.
We are looking for a candidate who has extremely strong financial analytical skills. This includes a solid understanding of accounting and finance, as well as the legal, commercial, operational and strategic aspects of enterprises. In addition, the incumbent will be a strong collaborator, with the ability to work effectively as part of a small team, including with both internal and external stakeholders.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Investment Analysis and Financial Modeling.
• Conduct initial due diligence (including business plan review, financial model analysis and coordination of social impact evaluation) for CRS impact investing opportunities.
• Build and manage financial models to analyze impact investment opportunities under consideration, including small-and-medium enterprises and investment vehicles.
• Analyze historical performance and develop forecasts on the short and long-term performance of current and potential portfolio companies/vehicles.
• Draft investment memoranda and support transaction negotiation and execution for impact investing opportunities.
• Perform know-your-customer and country risk assessments related to CRS impact investing opportunities, including investment vehicles.
Reporting and Portfolio Management
• Support all aspects of investment portfolio management, including accounting, monitoring the social and financial performance of existing investments, audit and compliance.
• Support financial and social impact reporting for the portfolio. Through quantitative and qualitative impact data and financial analysis, identify the strengths and opportunities to improve overall performance of impact investing opportunities and portfolio.
Research & Tools
• As needed, support in-depth and extensive market research and analysis for target countries and sectors of interest
• Undertake targeted research and marketing efforts in order to support the development of a pipeline of new social investment business opportunities.
• Continuously improve and refine internal tools and processes, including financial models, due diligence checklists, and resources for opportunity identification.
Required Languages – English fluency required; French or Spanish fluency preferred
Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 30% (pending travel restrictions).
• Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Economics, Accounting, Statistics or related discipline required. Master's Degree Preferred.
• CPA or CFA qualification will be a significant advantage.
• Minimum of two (2) years of relevant work experience in investment banking, accounting, impact investing, or institutional investing, preferably at a recognized firm.
• Demonstrated experience building and analyzing quantitative financial models and business plans, conducting due diligence and preparing investment memoranda.
• Demonstrated experience working in multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams to effect investments.
• Experience in social entrepreneurship, blended financing models, impact investing or other innovative development financing approaches preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Exceptionally strong analytical and organizational skills; quantitative modeling expertise required, preferably acquired at a recognized firm.
• In-depth understanding of financial accounting principles.
• Exceptional writer with expert command of English grammar and AP style.
• Capable of working in a dynamic, results oriented environment; ability to multi-task across various work streams/priorities.
• Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
• Team player with a positive attitude who can work independently while also being highly collaborative and open.
• Excellent attention to detail, adherence to deadlines and consideration of follow-through. Strong communication and presentation skills.
• Exceptional computer skills, including fluency in Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
EOE/M/F/D/V - CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.