Health and Safety coordinator (EN-ACE-OSA-2020-130-LD)
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes back the limits of technology so that physicists can carry out their research. Within the Accelerator Coordination and Engineering (ACE) Group of the EN department, you will join the Operational Safety Advisor (OSA) Section, which is responsible for safety coordination for the accelerator complex during programmed stops.
Are you a qualified and proactive technician with extensive experience in safety coordination, willing to contribute to a unique working environment at the heart of one of the world's most complex and exciting scientific experiments? Then, this opportunity is for you - join the largest particle physics research laboratory in the world. CERN, take part!
As a safety and environmental technician, you will:
- Collaborate with the organic unit responsible for the coordination of programmed stops to ensure that the safety requirements are fulfilled;
- During coordination meetings, you will animate the safety briefings and take the lead during on-site meetings and inspections;
- Request and/or participate in Joint Inspections (VIC: “Visite d’Inspection Commune”) in case of specific risks, coactivity and/or superimposition of workstations to provide support to work supervisors;
- Ensure compliance of the works with rules (host states, European and CERN legislations). You need to be aware of legislation changes and applies among all the most appropriate in order to increase the safety level;
- Approve the safety aspects in the Work Package Analysis Meetings when asked for by the organic unit responsible for the coordination of programmed stops;
- Collaborate with other Safety Officers and the Experts from the HSE (Occupational Health & Safety and Environmental Protection) unit;
- Participate in risk assessments, technical reviews and incident investigations;
- Provide safety training if required.
Technical certificate or general secondary education in the field of Health and Safety or a related field.
Additional qualification in health and safety coordination.
- Extensive hands-on experience in the on-site application/implementation of security legislation of the host states (Switzerland and France);
- Extensive experience in site management, construction management or architecture, or engineering or project management.
- Experience in work control, scheduling, work- or site management as a coordinator.
- Occupational safety and risk management;
- Knowledge of acoustics hazards and protection;
- Knowledge of Radiation Safety: (Non-ionizing and ionizing radiation);
- Knowledge of personal protective equipment;
- Safety conformity assessment;
- Incident analysis in particular fault tree analysis.
- Building Relationships: being able to put self in the shoes of others in order to understand their needs and interests;
- Working in Teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships;
- Achieving Results: following through on new ideas and innovations; planning and implementing application;
- Communicating Effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions Successfully changing other people's opinions by persuasive arguments;
- Solving Problems: adopting a pragmatic approach; understanding the value of adopting generic rather than gold -plated' technical solutions Being open to original ideas and creative options by which to address issues; continually driving change by seeking new ways to improve outcomes.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak one of the language in routine situations and an undertaking to acquire the other language rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 26.11.2020.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EN-ACE-OSA-2020-130-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Health Safety and Environment Technician