Legal Adviser (contract law) (DG-LS-OO-2020-132-LD)
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Do you have proven skills and experience in practicing contract law? Are you keen to work in the Legal Service of one of the world's leading scientific Intergovernmental Organizations, drafting and negotiating high-tech and industrial procurement contracts? Come and join a unique environment whose core value is excellence, and whose defining characteristic is teamwork. CERN, take part!
Working under the responsibility of the Head of the Operational Law Section of the Legal Service and in close collaboration with the Legal Service team, you will provide legal support to the Organization in its procurement activities, involving daily interactions with internal and external parties of diverse professional and national backgrounds.
In particular, working with your colleagues in the Legal Service, in the Procurement and Industrial Services Group and in the relevant CERN Department(s), you will:
- Provide legal support for the establishment of invitations to tender, many of which are of strategic importance for the success of the Organization's scientific programme;
- Draft and negotiate commercial contracts, including with suppliers of advance technology items; with contractors undertaking major civil engineering works on the CERN site; with industrial partners performing sophisticated R&D work for CERN; and with providers of financial and similar services, including to the Organization's Pension Fund;
- Review and update the legal framework applicable to CERN’s procurement activities, including the general conditions of contracts; prepare templates for invitations to tender and contracts; and provide related in-house training in these areas;
- Establish litigation strategies and defend CERN in legal disputes involving its suppliers, including in adjudication and arbitration proceedings. Liaise with external legal counsel, where appropriate;
- Provide advice and guidance on data protection/privacy matters arising in CERN’s procurement activities.
In addition to your core portfolio, you may be assigned work in other legal domains, such as scientific collaborations, intellectual property, and fundraising and outreach.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of private law or a related field.
- Solid relevant professional experience as a lawyer, preferably acquired in a corporate environment or a law firm;
- Experience in drafting and negotiating contracts with an international dimension;
- Exposure to the laws of CERN’s Host States (Switzerland and France) and EU law would be a strong asset.
- Drafting of commercial documents for a supply or a service contract;
- Knowledge of Contract Law.
- Working in teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Excellent spoken and written English, including demonstrated drafting skills.
- Working knowledge of French would be a strong asset.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 06.12.2020.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: DG-LS-OO-2020-132-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Legal Adviser