Regional Innovation Delegate Africa
The Norwegian Red Cross is part of the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement, the world’s largest humanitarian network with millions of volunteers and staff operating in 190 countries. Our mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies. To achieve this, we follow the seven humanitarian principles: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary service, Unity and Universality.
In Africa, Norwegian Red Cross aims to improve the health of vulnerable people and reduce excess morbidity and mortality in contexts affected by conflict and protracted crisis in the Sahel and Horn of Africa.
The Norwegian Red Cross focuses on building capacity of National Societies as well as supporting their programs in health emergencies. We support National Societies health care delivery, especially where the concerned governments are not able to fulfil the needs – always focusing on synergies together with other community- based programs. Another aim is to improve the regional emergency preparedness, early warning and response systems related to epidemic outbreaks, forced displacement and acute drought. A further objective is to strengthen the effectiveness of financial management and the quality of programme design and management of its National Society partners.
Responsibilities of the Regional Innovation Delegate:
The main purpose of this position is to support Norwegian Red Cross’ ability to innovate more systematically and proactively within health, WASH (water, sanitation, and hygiene), protection and remote programming, in cooperation with partners.
The Regional Innovation Delegate will work with country teams to develop problem statements and support implementation of field-driven innovation projects which meet the Norwegian Red Cross’ strategic goals in the region. There will be particular focus on achieving Universal Health Coverage. More specifically the responsibilities will include:
- Provide technical support to the quality design of the Norwegian Red Cross’ supported innovation projects
- Advise Norwegian Red Cross’ regional and country teams and movement partners in the region on best-practices within humanitarian innovation
- Support the regional team to plan for future innovation projects, review and provide input to reports, and support the execution and evaluation of innovation projects
- Support the development of communication tools to share learnings
- Introduce and support the implementation of human-centered design competencies in the Africa regional and country offices
- Use the regional innovation ecosystem to strengthen regional health programming
Required education, experience and proven skills:
- Higher University Degree in relevant field
- 2+ years’ experience from relevant fields (service design, project management, etc.)
- Experience from supporting decentralised innovation processes, preferably within the area of health, WASH and digitalisation
- Project management experience and/or training
- Experience in facilitating workshops, collaborative design projects, and design sprints
- Training in human-centred design and/or service design
- English work proficiency is required, knowledge of regional languages is an asset
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
- Advanced understanding of the use of innovative tools and approaches in relevant technical discipline
- Knowledge of Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Experience working within the humanitarian and/or development sectors is an advantage, especially with a focus on health
- Track record developing an innovation culture in multi-stakeholder environments
We seek a person who:
- Is a self-starter who makes things happen and is results-oriented
- Quickly understands and analyses complex issues and problems; comes up with sound and rational judgements
- Communicates in a clear, precise and structured way; speaks with authority and conviction; presents effectively
- Collaborates well with others; shares knowledge, experience and information and supports others in the pursuit of team goals
- Builds a useful network of contacts and relationships and utilize it to achieve objectives
- Produces fresh an imaginative ideas and solutions; breaks away from tradition; promotes change and novelty
Reporting to the Deputy Regional Representative for Africa, the position will be based in Nairobi with frequent travels in the region.
We offer a 24 months’ contract, with possibility for extension.
Why should you apply?
- Meaningful: You`ll be a part of the world's largest humanitarian organization, reaching the most vulnerable people in their local community
- Impact: You will help National Societies in the region to become strong, self-sustained and accountable humanitarian actors
- Career: You will be connected to an international organization with staff based all over the world
- A great place to work: You will work in a multicultural environment with hard-working, dedicated and fun colleagues with a strong culture of collaboration, continual improvement, and celebration of wins
Norwegian Red Cross striving to build a working culture based on respect, honesty and generosity.
We do a thorough background check on relevant candidate.