Spice Kitchen Incubator Catering and Events Intern
Salt Lake City (United States of America)
Spice Kitchen Incubator is a culinary incubator program of the International Rescue Committee in Salt Lake City that assists new Americans and low-to-moderate income individuals plan, launch, and sustain their own food businesses through affordable technical assistance, subsidized commercial kitchen rental, and access to market opportunities.
SCOPE OF INTERN WORK: This intern will support the International Rescue Committee in Salt Lake City’s Spice Kitchen Incubator program, a food business incubator program supporting new American and low-to-moderate income entrepreneurs. The intern will assist Spice Kitchen Incubator businesses during their time at special events, and will work with the Retail and Events Specialist to plan and carry out catering events for Spice Kitchen customers.
COMMITMENT: 4 months starting in January 2021, 15-20 hours per week
1. Coordinate with Retail and Events Specialist in the facilitation of caterings, food truck events, Spice-to-Go, and Community Food Boxes
2. Assist and educate entrepreneurs about the planning and behind-the-scenes logistics involved in various events including catering, food truck parking, Spice-to-Go, and Community Food Boxes.
3. Confirm initial details for events and entrepreneur. Prepare entrepreneur(s) and menu(s) for event, draft event contracts, oversee invoices and payments, and create and print menu materials.
4. Assist with catering and event drop-offs and set ups, and tear downs when necessary
5. Work with entrepreneurs to ensure timely scheduling and reservations in the commercial kitchen
6. As needed and relevant: Support entrepreneurs at special events, including food handling, set up and tear down, managing the cash register, recording and tracking sales, commercial kitchen and equipment oversight, and general customer service as needed
1. The intern will gain professional experience in hospitality, food and customer service, and event planning.
2. The intern will gain experience and deepen understanding of working and communicating with diverse populations including English language learners and refugees.
3. The intern will learn relevant skills and knowledge in food business ownership, events operations, and food business regulations