Program Associate for Family Planning and Health Systems Strengthening
Program Associate for Family Planning and Health Systems Strengthening, ProtectHealth
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
Project Overview and Role:
USAID’s ProtectHealth project, led by Palladium and in collaboration with other USAID implementing partners, is supporting the Government of the Philippines (GPH) to enhance access and financing to meet key family planning (FP), tuberculosis (TB) and HIV/AIDS outcomes while realizing its goal of achieving universal health care (UHC). USAID’s ProtectHeal th is specifically supporting the GPH’s implementation of the UHC Law by addressing policy and institutional bottlenecks within the health financing system.
The project provides technical assistance (TA) to enable the GPH to rapidly and effectively enact reforms envisioned under the new legislation on UHC. Specifically, USAID’s ProtectHealth enables the implementation of key reforms to the sustainable financing of TB, FP and HIV services, as well as improves the of the utilization of such benefits and increases financial protection by providing the best available evidence and convening decision-makers at critical points in the policy process. In addition to TA for the development of national financing policies in support of UHC implementation, USAID’s ProtectHealth will provide support to various US Government (USG)-assisted sites and other UHC Implementation Sites (UIS) in integrating local health systems (LHS) to improve the performance of h ealth programs, especially TB, HIV and FP.
With the broadening portfolio of support being provided by the project, there is need to strengthen project management and coordination. As such, the project will be divided into three functional teams led by the Chief of Party (for HIV and communications), the Deputy Chief of Party (TB, social health insurance financing and monitoring and evaluation) and the Advisor for Health Finance and Systems Strengthening or HFSS (FP and health systems strengthening). The added support to project management will allow the Chief of Party to continue exercising duties to ensure technical soundness of project outputs and meeting project deliverables in a timely and coordinated manner while taking lead for the HIV and communications portfolio. Moreover, the Advisor on HFSS also needs additional support on matters concerning financing policy for family planning and in attending to various DOH and USAID coordination mechanisms for the fa mily planning program.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
This position is primarily responsible for assisting the Chief of Party in managing, coordinating and monitoring the implementation of various products and deliverables of the project. In addition, the Program Associate shall also assist the Advisor for Health Financing and Systems Strengthening (HFSS) who is also the FP focal person of the project.
The duties of the Program Associate for FP and HSS can include but shall not be limited to the following:
Assist the Chief of Party in managing, coordinating and monitoring the implementation of various products and sub-products, and other activities:
* Assist in the preparation of project communications (e.g. official letters, memos and notices)and reports that can include among others, the annual and quarterly performance reports, annual implementation plan, sustainability plan, etc.
* Assist in ensuring the timeliness, technical soundness and coherence with overall technical framework of project reports and other relevant documentation submitted. On a per need basis, the Program Associate may be tasked to assist the different teams in the delivery of various technical products;
* Assist in coordinating with various project teams in the delivery of various technical assistance products;
* Regularly update the Chief of Party with the progress of implementation of various products and activities;
* Manage the project calendar and coordinate the schedule of the Chief of Party;
* Coordinate with the Business Management Unit (BMU) to ensure availability of required program resources in the implementation of various products/sub-products and activities
Assist the Advisor for HFSS in managing, coordinating and monitoring the implementation of various products and sub-products, and other activities concerning financing policy for family planning:
* Draft various reports and documents, including but are not limited to technical notes, advisories, concept notes, scopes of work and progress reports.
* Regularly update the Chief of Party through the Technical Advisor on HFSS (FP focal person) on progress towards implementation of technical assistance to the family planning program
* Assist the Technical Advisor for HFSS in coordinating activities concerning family planning with other project teams
* Liaise between the project and various clients and stakeholders, especially the DOH Women’s and Men’s Health
* Development Division and the Commission on Population.
Perform any other operations responsibilities as may be directed by Chief of Party or by the FP focal person.
* Attend meetings on family planning, such as but not limited to the family planning TWG of USAID.
* Advanced Degree in Economics, Public Health, Medicine or related field;
* With at least 3 years’ experience in social health insurance, health financing or health policy;
* Experience in working with family planning, maternal and child health or reproductive health and related programs will be an advantage
* Proficiency in MS Office applications;
* Sound written and verbal communication skills in English;
* Strong organizational skills to ensure activities, schedules and progress of work are on schedule;
* Demonstrated sound judgment, problem-solving and decision making;
* Ability to work with a low level of supervision and as a part of a team when required;
This role is a local position and Filipino nationals are strongly encourage to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.