Associate, Data Scientist
Associate, Data Scientist
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Country Programs - Rwanda
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI currently seeks an Associate Scientist to work with the Rwanda Social Security Board (RSSB), reporting directly to the Director General, to help improve the use of evidence for policy decision making.
The Associate Scientist will lead the to design and support the implementation of a new data analytics strategy that aims to help RSSB deliver successfully on their key strategic initiatives for 2020/2025. This effort is cornerstone to RSSB’s goal to disrupting how data is managed and used, including big data, to inform important policy and operational decisions. Greater availability and use of data will be critical to improving the health of Rwandans, as it will help government leaders make more informed decisions on which health interventions to provide coverage, and improve the financial sustainability of the various insurance schemes, and RSSB as a whole.
The Associate Scientist will help design and implement the framework for improved data analytics, and support to the set-up of a data analytics team and systems within RSSB. This will take place in parallel with the implementation of a new IT system for RSSB, and the Associate Scientist will work closely with the IT team so they can translate of data needs into system requirements.
This is a top government priority and the Associate Scientist will therefore be seconded to RSSB reporting directly to the Director General. Applicants resumes will be reviewed in coordination with RSSB.
- Design data analysis strategy that respond to data requirements for the implementation of RSSB key strategic initiatives for 2020/2025 and develop implementation roadmap.
- Support the set-up of a data analysis team within RSSB, recruit and onboard team members
- Develop innovative solutions for trend recognition and analysis using advanced statistics
- Mine and analyze data from RSSB databases (membership, claims, reimbursements) to drive optimization and improvement of RSSB products, benefits and operations using advanced forecasting and statistical methodology
- Develop data analytics tools and train other statisticians and user departments on production and use of statistics
- Work with other departments to promote the adoption of analytical principles within RSSB
- Advise the executive team on data analytics development in the institution and required investments
- PhD degree in a relevant discipline (mathematics, operational research, economics, statistics, AI, or a related field) or Master’s degree (in the above-mentioned fields) with 5 years of experience in the field of advanced statistics and data mining
- Solid mathematical foundation and knowledge of a variety of statistical methods (e.g. regression, classification, clustering, experimental design, modelling, advanced forecasting
- Experience manipulating data sets and building statistical models
- Strong proficiency in data visualization
- Ability to focus on vaguely defined problems requiring the application of a creative approach
- Strong teamworking skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for coordinating across teams
- Ability to mentor and lead teams in a fast-paced and changing environment