Analyst, Essential Medicines
United States (United States of America)
Analyst, Essential Medicines
- United States
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- SRMNCH - Global Essential Medicines
- Additional Location Description
- Position location is flexible to CHAI Program Countries pending leadership approval.
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org.
CHAI’s Essential Medicines team is leading efforts to address pneumonia and diarrhea - the top 2 causes of deaths in children – with a focus on driving scale-up of zinc and oral rehydration solution (ORS) to treat diarrhea and amoxicillin and supportive oxygen therapy to treat pneumonia. The Essential Medicines team is now leveraging its existing competency in oxygen therapy to rapidly respond to the clinical care needs of COVID-19 pandemic. Working with global partners, CHAI is part of a multi-country effort to urgently establish critical oxygen therapy infrastructure and services, and plan and implement long-term, sustainable improvements in oxygen availability.
The Essential Medicines program is looking for an Analyst who can shoulder the dual responsibilities of the working on both improved supplier relations, with a focus on Chinese manufacturers, and supporting the planning and implementation of country programs. The role entails working with an entrepreneurial mind-set and self-motivation. A highly qualified, dynamic, energetic person with exceptional people skills and experience of working in challenging environments would make for a strong candidate for this role. Demonstrated application of analytical skills and problem solving in complex environments would be essential. Previous exposure to strategy projects and working on outputs for senior leadership, especially with the government, would help bolster the application.
Position location is flexible to CHAI Program Countries pending appropriate work authorization and leadership approval. Preferred locations: United States, Hong Kong, Ethiopia, India, Kenya, Nigeria or Uganda.
- Building on the landscaping of the Technical Advisor of the CHAI Oxygen team, support the achievement of strategic price reductions for high-potential pulse oximeters for focus countries (Kenya, Uganda, Ethiopia, Nigeria) as well as globally, if feasible. This includes cultivating relationships with high-priority suppliers identified through the landscaping, developing and sharing required market intelligence, and working with the Senior Manager to develop and implement the strategy and approach towards price reductions
- Maintain / update a global landscape of suppliers of oxygen concentrators and related equipment and accessories; advise the Senior Manager on any opportunities for price negotiations in this product category
- As required, support the CHAI Oxygen program in engaging with innovators to provide guidance on overall market for pneumonia commodities, in order to ensure that innovations meet market needs and are viable / scalable given market conditions
- Support / lead need projections and demand quantifications for various devices part in the respiratory support commodities package
- Other responsibilities as needed
- Min. Bachelor’s degree, plus 2-4 years’ work experience
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with the ability to write in a clear and concise manner, including for technical documents such as national plans and guidelines.
- Exceptional analytical skills (qualitative and quantitative), advanced excel proficiency preferable.
- Proven negotiating and interpersonal skills with ability to promote consensus, communicate progress and results, and resolve issues in a proactive manner, while ensuring effective work practices and ethics
- Cross-cultural empathy and sensitivity; an awareness of developing world concerns; the genuine desire to build close and productive working relationships with people from different business cultures and geographies
- Entrepreneurial mindset, including ability to work independently, self-motivate, and propose and implement new initiatives
- Strong desire to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasking, limited-structure, high-pressure, multicultural environment
- Experience travelling to and/or working in sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and/or South East Asia
- Entrepreneurial mindset to analyze and innovate on team priorities and focus areas across market systems and technology innovations team prior
- Ability to travel approximately ~30% of the time to focal countries
- Basic proficiency in Mandarin