State Team Lead, Routine Immunization Strengthening, Bihar
State Team Lead, Routine Immunization Strengthening, Bihar
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Country Programs - India
- Additional Location Description
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
Through the prioritized implementation of high impact public health interventions like immunization, access to safe drinking water, improved neo-natal and infant care and access to effective treatment for pneumonia and diarrhea, India has reduced its infant mortality rate (IMR) from 89 in 1990 to 32 in 2017 and Under-five Mortality Rate (U5MR) from 126 in 1990 to 39 in 2017. India’s Universal Immunization Programme (UIP) is one of the largest public immunization programmes in the world. It caters to 26 million infants and 30 million pregnant women annually through 9 million planned sessions. The programme provides access to vaccines against 11 Vaccine Preventable Diseases (VPDs) at the national level and against two VPDs vaccines at the sub-national level.
Under the strong leadership of the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoHFW) and state governments, the entire immunization ecosystem has demonstrated proactive commitment for achieving universal immunization coverage in the country in recent years. Strategic projects in this direction include but are not limited to introduction of new vaccines, rolling out of data systems, strengthening of national immunization centres such as Immunization Technical Support Unit (ITSU) and National Cold Chain & Vaccines Management Resource Centre (NCCVMRC) and successful piloting of initiatives for bolstering health worker capacity building. Coupled with these initiatives, MoHFW launched Mission Indradhanush (MI) in 2014 and Intensified Mission Indradhanush (iMI) in 2017: catch up and system strengthening campaigns to target underserved, vulnerable, resistant, and inaccessible populations. iMI has resulted in an increase of 6.7% in full immunization coverage (FIC) after the first two phases in prioritized districts. However, the government and partners recognize the need for further efforts in this direction to reduce the 802,000 infant deaths and 989,000 under-five deaths that occur annually in the country.
Bihar, the third most populous state of the country, contributes to about 11% (2.9 million) of India’s annual birth cohort of 26 million children. Government of Bihar has shown great commitment for increasing immunization coverage, wherein the immunization coverage (FIC) has almost doubled to 61.1% (NFHS) in 2015-16 from 2005-06. Additionally, recent surveys post targeted catch up campaigns like Mission Indradhanush (MI) and Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) show an average increase of 15 percentage points in immunization coverage across Bihar’s 16 IMI districts from 56.5% in 2015-16 (NFHS) to 71.8% in 2018. Over the years, inequities in immunization coverage across socio-economic groups in the state have reduced, but are still high. Government of Bihar (GoB) aims to achieve 90% full immunization coverage (FIC) across the state, sustain the coverage across age group cohorts and strengthen health systems for improving long term immunization outcomes.
 Unicef on behalf of UN IGME (2018). Level and Trends in Child Mortality Report 2018 Estimates developed by the UN Inter-agency Group for Child Mortality Estimation. New York
 diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, polio, measles, rubella, severe form of childhood tuberculosis, rotavirus diarrhoea, hepatitis B, meningitis and pneumonia (caused by hemophilus influenza type B)
 pneumococcal pneumonia and Japanese Encephalitis
 Rotavirus Vaccine, Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine, Measles Rubella vaccine, Injectable Polio Vaccine, Tetanus Diphtheria vaccine
 electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network (eVIN), National Cold Chain Management Information System (NCCMIS), ANM Online (ANMOL), Surveillance and Action for Events Following Vaccination (SAFE-VAC)
 Rapid Immunzations Skills Enhancement (RISE)
 Gurnani et al (2018). Improving vaccination coverage in India: lessons from Intensified Mission Indradhanush, a cross-sectoral systems strengthening strategy. BMJ 2018; 363; k4782
CHAI in partnership with its India affliliate, William J. Clinton Foundation's (WJCF) immunization program supports the MoHFW’s UIP at the national level and in the focus states of Madhya Pradesh, Bihar and Uttar Pradesh. The programme provides catalytic support to NCCVMRC, based out of National Institute of Health and Family Welfare (NIHFW), on national projects for improving availability and efficacy of vaccines and efficiency of vaccines systems. The programme also supports national and state governments on broader operational aspects such as planning, capacity building and systems improvements for immunization service delivery.
In Bihar, the programme will provide catalytic support to GoB for achieving and sustaining 90% FIC. The programme will help in setting up effective program management & review mechanisms, identifying pressing challenges as well as best practices in RI, enhancing impact of well performing interventions, developing & deploying effective solutions to pressing challenges and undertaking multi-year planning for long term immunization systems strengthening.
We seek a highly motivated and entrepreneurial individual with outstanding credentials for the key project leadership role of State Team Lead. The State Team Lead will shoulder multiple responsibilities including leading the program's implementation in the state, building and managing key stakeholder relationships, and collaborating closely with the organization's senior leadership on strategic direction. The State Team Lead will be directly accountable to programme leadership for timely and quality delivery of program goals. The ideal candidate would have strong program management skills, rich experience of delivering transformative projects, impeccable writing and verbal communication competencies, and have demonstrated excellence in leading high caliber teams for impact. The successful candidate will need to be adept at coordinating the operations of cross-functional and multi-location teams, function independently to strategize and deliver with flexibility in a dynamic and often uncertain situation, and have a strong commitment to excellence. We place great value on relevant personal qualities: resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, and work ethic.
- Lead, develop and manage the immunization programme in Bihar, including technical and strategic leadership, administrative and managerial oversight, and effective monitoring of the project.
- Work independently and in groups to comprehensively execute planned immunization support interventions while ensuring sustainable and continuous capacity building of key government functionaries.
- Guide team members on their goals and enable them to effectively achieve targets for immunization interventions in the state through direct intervention or facilitation as needed.
- Lead work planning, activity monitoring and risk mitigation, budgeting and financial reporting for the programme in a routine and actionable manner.
- Ensure effective and regular engagement of the project with critical government immunization stakeholders and policy makers at the state and sub-state levels.
- Provide in-depth and high-quality technical assistance to GoB on its immunization program.
- Build effective and functional relationships with immunization partner leadership in the state for joint impact and convergent support to GoB.
- Effectively represent the organization in state meetings and public health fora like conferences, workshops, and seminars and communicate the value of the programme's contribution to Bihar’s immunization performance at such platforms.
- Identify opportunities and craft space for the programme to augment support to GoB on improving immunization outcomes and evolve strategy based on context.
- Ensure team members are always well positioned to contribute to the state’s immunization vision based on cutting edge research, global and country best practices, and innovative and proven approaches.
- Travel on short notice to various parts of the state and often to national destinations as well.
- Perform other responsibilities as requested by country leadership.
- Relevant work experience of 15 years+ and Master’s degree in management, public health, community medicine, public policy / administration or allied areas.
- Experience in immunization and other public health programs in India.
- Proven expertise in a demanding results driven environment, in the public and/or private sector, with relevant senior management leadership experience.
- Demonstrated success in coordinating stakeholders/interests (public sector engagement would be highly relevant) and developing strong relationships in order to drive a complex and critical process successfully.
- Exceptional diplomacy and interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to build strong professional relationships with a range of stakeholders in a challenging, multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to navigate complex government processes and favourably influence decision-making in a professional and collaborative manner.
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity, and problem solve in a fast-paced, limited-structure, multicultural environment.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills required.
- Proven experience in mentoring and leading teams in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Fluency in English & Hindi.
- Deep understanding of the Bihar health context.
- Significant government stakeholder management experience would be a strong positive.
- Direct or step one reporting to C-suite.
- Strong experience in management consulting with highly reputed consulting firms.