Public Information Officer
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Head of UNMIK Office of Strategic Communications and Public Affairs (OSCPA), the UN Volunteer undertakes the following tasks:
- Drafts engaging human interest stories, features and multimedia scripts about the mission and its implementing partners’ activities and their impact, for dissemination on the mission public platforms (e.g. mission website and social media platforms);
- Drafts complex and politically sensitive material such as press releases, if-asked lines, press packs, messages, talking points, and responses to media enquiries;
- Proofreads and copyedits drafts prepared by other officers;
- Plays a leading role in implementing the digital communications strategy of the office; keeping the mission website and social media platforms updated on a regular basis; provides support to other offices to keep information about their office and activities up-to-date on the mission digital platforms;
- Assists the section chief in planning, coordinating and overseeing the production of a range of multi-media content (ex. photo stories and videos) in promoting issues in support of the mission’s mandate and its communications strategy;
- Assists the section chief in designing and implementing public information campaigns, outreach events and programmatic activities in support of the mission mandate;
- Contributes to internal communications of the mission and the office administrative tasks (ex. Drafting staff broadcasts, memos and reports);
- Assists the section chief in designing and implementing programmatic activities (ex. drafting project proposals; liaising with implementing partners);
- Represents the head of the office in meetings and events if and when required;
Bachelor’s in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or related field.
- This job requires excellent storytelling and writing skills and practical knowledge of news writing conventions, including but not limited to ability to draft human-interest stories and edit/proofread and summarise English documents.
- This job requires knowledge of media relations, international relations and public information and public interest communications in the context of international organisations
At least three years of experience in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field.
Minimum two years of international and/or media/communications experience.Language skills:
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Albanian(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
- Serbian(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
- Excellent storytelling, writing, proofreading and copyediting skills as well as practical knowledge of news writing conventions are required;
- Social media management skills, including ability to tailor language and content for social media platforms are required;
- Basic knowledge of working with Microsoft Office such as Word, Excel and Outlook are required;
- Knowledge of public information and strategic communications in the context of international relations, especially in the context of the UN is desirable;
- Videography, filming, picture editing, photography and/or graphic design skills are not required but would be an advantage.
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 01 December 2020