Security Senior Assistant
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
- Technical Support Services
- Office Administration
- Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
- Technical Support services
- Gathers, researches, verifies, and updates security information and data required for:
- Proper analysis of the security situation, including preparedness and risks.
- The development of the Security Plan and the Self-Assessment Programme for the mandatory mitigation measures.
- Maintains staff lists, and information related to UNOPS offices, residences, project sites, focal points, and the warden system for implementation of the Office /Operations’ Security Plan;
- Disseminates, relays, exchanges and communicates information regarding the security situation in the country or areas of responsibility
- Compiles and tabulates the results of questionnaires and data to support the monitoring of compliance with the required security mitigation measures established at the duty station
- Documents and supports the reporting of security incidents affecting UN staff, offices and assets.
- May represent UNOPS at Security Cell meetings, to record matters arising and provide routine information to clients.
- Undertakes routine follow up action on security issues on behalf of the supervisor and informs supervisor of status.
- Administratively supports the organization of training courses on security awareness and preparedness, and may participate as resource.
- Conducts basic elements of security briefings to newly arrived staff, as required.
- Provides guidance and advice to personnel on routine security procedures, communication channels, and focal points.
- Administers security-clearance processes including requests for compound access.
- In absence of Field Security Adviser, Security Senior Associate, or functional supervisor, works closely with UNDSS and assist UNDSS in performing their overall coordination role, providing information and support on issues related to UNOPS.
- Provides general administrative services for the work area, managing the information flow, following up on the timeliness of responses for initiatives, correspondence, and queries, with internal and external stakeholders, including Security Focal Points of UN agencies and UNDSS;
- Organizes meetings and briefings, arranges appointments, receives visitors, places and screens telecommunications, answering queries with discretion, and takes minutes and/or notes at meetings as directed by supervisors.
- Prepares reports, tables, databases, charts, etc., applying technical skills and knowledge in formatting.
- Facilitates emergency communications by operating specialized data-communication equipment, including satellite telephone, VHF, HF, etc.
- Maintains routine and confidential correspondence files / documents, ensuring the security of data and other sensitive information.
- Organizes, facilitates and/or delivers training and learning initiatives for personnel on procurement
- Provides sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in procurement.
- Collects feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Security Senior Assistant effects the overall efficiency of the relevant business unit in relation to security matters, compliance with the UN Security Management System policies, guidelines and advisories, and the effective delivery of programmes and projects. Timely and accountable delivery of services, contributes to improved safety and security for UNOPS personnel and assets. This promotes the image of the office and enhances UNOPS’ competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services in the country/region serve
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- First University Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or equivalent disciplines is desirable but not required.
- Relevant certification in security related studies is a distinct advantage.
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience in security or operations’ services is required in national or international, public or corporate organizations, including in the following areas: Incident reporting, security administration support, security communication, telecommunication and warden system.
- Prior experience with the UN system or international NGOs is desirable.
- Proficiency in computers and office software packages (MS Office), and experience in handling of web-based management systems is required.
- Knowledge of Telecommunication (including HF and VHF) Possession of a valid driver’s license is requirement
- Full fluency in Arabic and English is required.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Individual Contractual Agreement (ICA)
- Contract level: Local ICA Support 5
- Contract duration Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Damascus is NOT a family duty station.
- This position is a local position open to Syrian nationals ONLY.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.