Explosive Ordnance Risk Education/NTS Technical Advisor
Explosive Ordnance Risk Education/Non-Technical Survey Technical Advisor
[Mosul and Basra]
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country, and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
About the job:
The EORE/NTS Technical Advisor is responsible for monitoring activities of EORE/NTS teams. He/She is responsible for delivering timely matter and high-quality training for the purpose of building both the internal and external capacity of DDG/DRC EORE/NTS staff, humanitarian workers, security providers and any other audiences identified within EORE strategy. The EORE/NTS Technical Advisor will also develop risk education materials and methodologies for all targeted audiences, including mines/ERW, IED risk education curricula in line with DDG/DRC SOP on Explosive Ordnance Risk Education.
- Conducting Needs Assessment to identify if possible, analyze and prioritize the local mine and ERW risks, to assess the capacities and vulnerabilities of communities, and to evaluate the options for conducting EORE.
- Ensure close collaboration with organization safety unit
- Participate to the recruitment of EORE/NTS supervisors and facilitators as required
- Ensure timely and high-quality trainings and overall EORE/NTS staff, with a view to ensure sustainable growth of the EORE/NTS Unit. Ensure delivery of high quality EORE training for humanitarian workers, security providers and any other audiences identified within RE strategy
- Develop/conceptualise risk education materials and methodologies for all targeted audiences, including mines/ERW, IED risk education curricula in line with DDG/DRC SOP on EORE and Training
- Develop training strategy for humanitarian workers involving practical simulation, in close consultation with Operations Manager
- Ensure quality delivery of EORE in difficult context through regular monitoring of staff and volunteers
- Develop, document and implement a quality assurance and monitoring strategy for EORE activities, in consultation with M&E Manager.
- Stakeholder relations
- Work in close collaboration with Operations Manager to reflect on, develop and implement new EORE materials contextualised to North and South Iraq
- Liaise with internal project development department to ensure quality reporting of EORE/NTS activities
- Ensure liaison with INGOs, NGOs and UN agencies representatives for the planning and delivery of EORE training
- The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
- Support the OM in drafting and compiling the monthly, quarterly and annual reports for the EORE/NTS activities.
- Support the OM and PD Department in preparing donor reports by providing qualitative and quantitative inputs
- Contribute and collaborate with Information Management to the monthly operational statistic reports
- Management or Non-Management: Non-Management
- Reporting to: Operations Manager
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least four years’ work experience working on EORE/NTS-related programming
- Proven Risk Education/Non-Technical Survey training and educational material development experience
- Excellent supervising, training and facilitation skills
- Able to work in difficult and insecure circumstances
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Attention to details
- Knowledge of Middle East particular context in a EORE perspective would be an asset
- University degree in social science or tertiary education in any other relevant field is an advantage.
Languages: (Reading and Writing)
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge in local spoken languages would be an asset.
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Other programme staff (M&E, Protection, Project Development, HR)
- Operations Manager
- Technical Field Managers
- Relevant stakeholders and Other NGOs
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 8 months
Band: G-Non Management
Designation of Duty Station: Mosul and Basra
Start date: 1 February 2021
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 23-December-2021
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo