Review and Insights Manager
Review and Insights Manager
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Country Programs - India
- Additional Location Description
- Patna, Bihar
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
Through the prioritized implementation of high impact public health interventions like immunization, access to safe drinking water, improved neo-natal and infant care and access to effective treatment for pneumonia and diarrhea, India has reduced its infant mortality rate (IMR) from 89 in 1990 to 32 in 2017 and Under-five Mortality Rate (U5MR) from 126 in 1990 to 39 in 2017. India’s Universal Immunization Programme (UIP) is one of the largest public immunization programmes in the world. It caters to 26 million infants and 30 million pregnant women annually through 9 million planned sessions. The programme provides access to vaccines against 11 Vaccine Preventable Diseases (VPDs) at the national level and against two VPDs vaccines at the sub-national level.
Under the strong leadership of the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoHFW) and state governments, the entire immunization ecosystem has demonstrated proactive commitment for achieving universal immunization coverage in the country in recent years. Strategic projects in this direction include but are not limited to introduction of new vaccines, rolling out of data systems, strengthening of national immunization centres such as Immunization Technical Support Unit (ITSU) and National Cold Chain & Vaccines Management Resource Centre (NCCVMRC) and successful piloting of initiatives for bolstering health worker capacity building. Coupled with these initiatives, MoHFW launched Mission Indradhanush (MI) in 2014 and Intensified Mission Indradhanush (iMI) in 2017: catch up and system strengthening campaigns to target underserved, vulnerable, resistant, and inaccessible populations. iMI has resulted in an increase of 6.7% in full immunization coverage (FIC) after the first two phases in prioritized districts. However, the government and partners recognize the need for further efforts in this direction to reduce the 802,000 infant deaths and 989,000 under-five deaths that occur annually in the country.
Bihar, the third most populous state of the country, contributes to about 11% (2.9 million) of India’s annual birth cohort of 26 million children. Government of Bihar has shown great commitment for increasing immunization coverage, wherein the immunization coverage (FIC) has almost doubled to 61.1% (NFHS) in 2015-16 from 2005-06. Additionally, recent surveys post targeted catch up campaigns like Mission Indradhanush (MI) and Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) show an average increase of 15 percentage points in immunization coverage across Bihar’s 16 IMI districts from 56.5% in 2015-16 (NFHS) to 71.8% in 2018. Over the years, inequities in immunization coverage across socio-economic groups in the state have reduced, but are still high. Government of Bihar (GoB) aims to achieve 90% full immunization coverage (FIC) across the state, sustain the coverage across age group cohorts and strengthen health systems for improving long term immunization outcomes.
CHAI in partnership with its India affiliate, William J. Clinton Foundation's (WJCF) has been working in India since 2004 in close partnership with and under the guidance of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) at the central and state levels on an array of high priority initiatives aimed at improving health outcomes. Currently, CHAI/WJCF programs, supports government initiatives on HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis-C, tuberculosis, cancer, immunisation, and health financing. Additionally, CHAI/WJCF supports many state governments on large-scale programs to arrest childhood and maternal mortality due to malnutrition, anaemia, diarrhoea and pneumonia, and helping increase access to quality family planning services.
CHAI/WJCF’s India immunization program supports the MoHFW’s UIP at the national level and in the focus states of Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, and Uttar Pradesh. CHAI/WJCF provides catalytic support to NCCVMRC, based out of National Institute of Health and Family Welfare (NIHFW), on national projects for improving availability and efficacy of vaccines and efficiency of vaccines systems. CHAI/WJCF also supports national and state governments on broader operational aspects such as planning, capacity building and systems improvements for immunization service delivery.
In Bihar, CHAI/WJCF will provide catalytic support to GoB for achieving and sustaining 90% FIC. CHAI/WJCF will help in setting up effective program management & review mechanisms, identifying pressing challenges as well as best practices in RI, enhancing impact of well performing interventions, developing & deploying effective solutions to pressing challenges and undertaking multi-year planning for long term immunization systems strengthening.
We seek a highly motivated and entrepreneurial individual with outstanding credentials for the role of Review and Insights Manager. The Manager will oversee and guide the development of the Immunization program strategy, undertake programmatic and operational planning, and ensure strategic alignment for all planned interventions. The Manager will be responsible for driving evidence-based decision making and strengthening program review & monitoring mechanisms at the state level. They will provide leadership across state interventions data systems, capacity building and Immunization Supply Chain. The Manager will report to the State Team Lead directly and will work with senior stakeholders within the team and government to drive program outcomes. They will lead a dynamic strategy team comprising competencies across advanced analytics, strategic planning, and process transformation. The ideal candidate would have strong strategic management and planning skills, rich experience of delivering evidence-based insights, impeccable written and verbal communication competencies, and have demonstrated excellence in leading high caliber teams for impact. CHAI places a great value on relevant personal qualities: resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, and work ethic.
- Lead and execute, under the guidance of the State Team Lead, the process of strategy formulation for the Immunization programme in Bihar to support GoB achieve its programme outcomes timely and effectively
- Design, validate and drive innovative interventions for enhancing evidence-based decision making for the immunization programme in Bihar
- Develop and implement strategies for improving immunization data availability & accuracy
- Develop transformative programme review mechanisms to drive performance
- Leverage & integrate multi-modal immunization & other public health data and field insights to deliver evidence-based insights for internal & external immunization programme strategy
- Support key government and public health stakeholders in long term planning & programme review as well as short term decision making for immunization through advanced data analytics, predictive modelling, situation analysis etc.
- Lead, guide, and mentor a high-powered strategy team capable of designing and delivering impactful solutions in swift timelines
- Lead the strategic & operational planning for the Immunization programme and undertake regular strategy reviews for course correction
- Ensure strategic alignment across sub-teams. Identify opportunities for collaboration and resource optimization across the Immunization programme team interventions
- Build effective and functional relationships with immunization partners in the state to identify synergies
- Support CHAI leadership in managing donor & grant, operations, and finances of the programme to meet deliverables within the appropriate timeframes
- Travel on short notice to various parts of the state
- Perform other responsibilities as requested by Immunization Program State Team Lead
- Relevant work experience of 8+ years in a management consulting or project management role in large-scale implementation projects and a master’s degree in management, economics, public administration, public health, or allied areas
- Proven expertise in a demanding result driven environment, in the public and/or private sector, with relevant programme management experience.
- Prior experience in strategic & operational planning / consulting for large organizations
- Proven expertise in advanced analytics, predictive modelling, big data, machine learning & related fields
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity, and problem solve in a fast-paced, limited-structure, multicultural environment
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to build strong professional relationships with a range of stakeholders in a challenging, multi-cultural environment
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills required
- Proven experience in mentoring and leading teams in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Fluency in English & Hindi
- Experience working in management consulting, investment banking, client-facing or similar fast paced, output-oriented environments
- Experience working in developing countries, and partnering with donors, branches of the government, NGOs or demonstrated experience in related areas