Senior Finance Coordinator
Abidjan (Cote d'Ivoire)
NOTE: This position is contingent upon donor funding. Ivoirians nationals and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Founded in 1933 on the initiative of Albert Einstein, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world's worst humanitarian crises and helps people survive, recover and rebuild their lives. Present today in more than 40 countries IRC works to restore the safety, dignity and hope of millions of vulnerable people around the world. IRC has been working in Côte d'Ivoire since 2002, where it implements innovative projects in the areas of protection of women and children, education, economic strengthening and health.
IRC Côte d'Ivoire's health sector now has projects in the fields of nutrition, epidemiological surveillance, the fight against infectious diseases (HIV and Malaria), water, hygiene and sanitation (WASH), sexual and reproductive health, family planning, and maternal, child and newborn health (SR/FP/MCNH). These various projects are implemented with national stakeholders and various donors in 20 regions and 51 health districts of the country.
IRC is looking for a Senior Finance Coordinator for an anticipated five-year USAID-funded integrated maternal, newborn and child health (MNCH), reproductive health (RH) and malaria project in Côte d'Ivoire. The project aims to reduce maternal, newborn and child mortality and improve reproductive health among young people and women of reproductive age. The scope of this activity will include tackling the major causes of maternal, neonatal and child mortality. It will also include malaria in pregnancy (MIP).
The Senior Finance Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing financial management and financial operations for the anticipated USAID activity. The Finance Coordinator provides the leadership and management necessary to ensure the project has the appropriate financial infrastructure and systems in place to support the smooth project implementation. S/he will contribute to the development of the Project’s strategic and operational plans and be accountable for ensuring and monitoring delivery against the financial plans through targeted and comprehensive financial analytical review. This position is contingent upon donor funding.
• Ensures that all policies and procedures are in compliance with IRC and USAID policies, procedures, and requirements.
• Establishes project’s finance and supporting function policies, systems and procedures, and directs or performs their development, documentation, and implementation.
• Manages project finance activities and schedules to meet the financial reporting requirements and deadlines specified by New York HQ and USAID. Prepares quarterly accrual reports, expenditure reporting, and burn rate projections.
• Provides project management and program staff with monthly actual-to-budgetanalysis for project funds and facilitate the review and discussion.
• Ensures balance sheet reconciliations are completed monthly and on a timely basis and review final reconciliations and trial balances with the Director of Finance.
• Closely monitors all financial activities, and keeps the Chief of Party advised of all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial performance.
• Directs the preparation of and approval of all USAID financial reports in respect to accounting, legal and contractual requirements and ensures the review of such reports by the Chief of Party and HQ prior to submission.
• Enforces internal control policies and procedures relating to the project.
• Maintains current knowledge of local government requirements related to financial matters and ensures compliance with tax regulations and other legal requirements.
• Establishes project finance roles and responsibilities matrix; ensures job descriptions are current; recruits and maintains qualified staff to perform finance functions.
• Develops and implements a training program for the project’s finance staff.
• Ensures constructive performance reviews are completed on a timely basis and facilitates discussion of performance and career options with project finance staff.
• Supervises all project office bank relations and bank account activities including negotiation of fees, interest and currency exchange rates in close collaboration with the Director of Finance.
• In compliance with IRC policy, establishes policies regarding cash holding limits, cash movements and foreign currency holdings of the project.
• Oversees the timely preparation, review and approval of project related monthly bank account and cash reconciliations.
• Designs, implements, and monitors systems, procedures and reporting necessary to maintain on current basis accurate forecasts of cash requirements for meeting future spending, including commitments entered into and which obligate IRC to future spending.
• Supervises the preparation of Cash Transfer Requests to New York and ensures that appropriate cash balances are maintained to facilitate project implementation.
• Lead the process of budget preparation and revision.
• Prepares the annual and monthly cash budgets based on approved funding.
• Contributes to developing and maintaining a work environment that fosters teamwork, trust, mutual respect and empowers project staff.