National Gender Sensitive Governance Expert
Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, UN Women works on the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations System efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women is dedicated to advancing gender equality and women’s human rights in Afghanistan. Staff and consultants of UN Women Afghanistan are expected to contribute to a professional working environment in which the strengthening of national capacities and human potential is prioritized. Respect for diversity and human dignity is required, as is the active pursuit of a collaborative and inclusive approach to both internal and external stakeholders, including colleagues and partners.
UN Women is seeking the services of an experienced national consultant to provide technical support to implementation of the governance and leadership programme activities including support to development of ToRs, concept notes/proposals, workplans, status/progress reports, and other programme documents. The consultant is also expected to strengthen partnership building, and advocacy including the design and implementation of campaigns around 16 days of activism, International Women’s Day and COVID-19 prevention and monitoring and reporting support for activities in the Development Result Framework (DRF) and Organization Effectiveness and Efficiency Framework (OEEF).
Duties and Responsibilities
Under direct supervision of the Governance and Leadership Program Specialist, and under the overall guidance of the UN Women senior management, the consultant will be responsible for the following:
Tasks & Deliverables
Provide support to communications, monitoring, evaluation and reporting on gender sensitive governance.
Deliverable: Finalization of communications plan for campaigns on gender sensitive governance.
28 February 2021
Support implementation of projects on gender sensitive governance in Afghanistan including through the elaboration of concept notes or background briefs on issues linked to governance.
Deliverable: Concept notes or background briefs
31 March 2021
Support implementation and monitoring of projects on gender sensitive governance including in the provinces
Deliverable: Report of one mission to support implementation of gender sensitive governance programme
30 April 2021
Provide support to communications, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of gender sensitive governance programmes, including through support to donor reporting on gender sensitive governance
Deliverable: Collection of inputs and finalization of donor reporting on gender sensitive governance
31 May 2021
Support the development and furtherance of policy and normative content, including by attending events, conferences, and meetings to present on UN Women’s work.
Deliverable: Contributing to drafting of presentations for senior management for events on UN Women’s governance work
30 June 2020
Support implementation of projects on gender sensitive governance
Deliverable: Draft concept note or request for proposal for procurement related process
31 December 2019
Duration of the Work
The consultant will be contracted for a maximum of 132 working/ days over a period of 6 months starting from the signature of the contract, with the possibility of extension.
- The Consultant will be based at the UN Women Country Office in Kabul, with travel to the provinces.
- The consultancy shall commence as soon as possible.
- The contract payments will be based on the submission of monthly timesheets and confirmation of satisfactory results to the ACO.
- Ability to multi-task and respond simultaneously and in a timely fashion to job requirements. Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Strong and proven integrity, time management and work prioritization skills.
- Understanding of UNDP/UN Women procedures, rules and regulations is an asset.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Demonstrated sensitivity, discretion, tact, and courtesy in relation to gender equality and women’s rights, development principles and projects,
- Good client approach towards implementing partners, national and international personnel of varied nationalities and backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral
Commitment to upholding the organizational values and principles of UN Women Afghanistan.
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor's degree in gender studies, international affairs, and/or any relevant field directly related to gender and governance.
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience at the national and/or international level in gender-sensitive governance
- Excellent knowledge of computer programs mainly office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.), knowledge of spreadsheet and database. Experience in handling Atlas knowledge and usage.
- Experience in financial monitoring and understanding of UNDP/UN Women procedures, rules, and regulations an asset.
- Professional fluency in English (written and oral)
- Knowledge of Dari and/or Pashto.