Information Management Officer
This position is located in the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA), which is part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response’s efforts. OCHA’s mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national, international actors in order to alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies; advocate the rights of people in need; promote preparedness and prevention and facilitate sustainable solutions. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Humanitarian Advisory Team (HAT) and working as an integral part of the organization’s team, the incumbent supports Government and partners with information products and services to support coordination, strategic decision making, and progress mapping. She/he also provides support in humanitarian/development Nexus coordination, humanitarian funding appeals, Humanitarian Country Team information functions, and the monitoring and reporting of humanitarian conditions on a regular basis in support of the UN Resident/Humanitarian Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Builds and maintain effective Information Management
- Ensures effective UN Coordination
- Perform other duties, as assigned by the Head of HAT
- Ensure provision of top-quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management
Builds and maintain effective Information Management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support the strategy, planning, development and delivery of complex information management, reporting, and communications products;
- Updating and assimilation of global information management standards, policies and procedures to guide related activities within the OCHA Office;
- Identify and recommend primary data and information elements that are required internally and externally to support humanitarian decision-making;
- Supervise the collection and management of data entry and the use of standardized systems to support humanitarian information tools such as Online Projects System (OPS), Who Does What Where, Contact Directory, and Financial Tracking System;
- Provide technical support to partners in terms of data management, analysis, infographics, GIS, and other areas of IM support; and
- Develops, implements and monitors information standards and guidelines, including testing paradigms.
Ensures effective UN Coordination focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support and maintain a client-oriented approach with all relevant stakeholders to help identify their information requirements and support activities that ensure that the information needed to support humanitarian operations (and the coordination role of the Humanitarian Coordinator, OCHA HAT) is submitted/collected, organized and made available to all humanitarian stakeholders in-country.
- Assist in strategic and operational decision-making by coordinating the processing and analysis of data and information and presenting it in the format most useful for analysis (e.g. reports, maps).
- Facilitates communications between and for good client relations.
Perform other duties, as assigned by the Head of HAT
- This position may involve extensive traveling within Philippines as well as providing international surge support, primarily within the Asia Pacific region.
Ensure provision of top-quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Promotes knowledge sharing and development
- Enhance usage of information management tools, hands-on support and training
- Organization of trainings for the HAT on relevant issues.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Innovation. Ability to make new and useful ideas work. Level 4: Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully.
Leadership. Ability to persuade others to follow. Level 4: Generates commitment, excitement and excellence in others.
People Management. Ability to improve performance and satisfaction. Level 4: Models independent thinking and action.
Communication. Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform. Level 4: Synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis.
Delivery. Ability to get things done while exercising good judgment. Level 4: Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services.
Quality Assurance. Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled. Level 4: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Project Management. Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals. Level 4: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Legal Advisory. Ability to advise on legal matters including UNDP's legal status, policy development, corporate and operational matters, status and conduct. Level 4: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Knowledge Facilitation. Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share. Level 4: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Communication. Ability to effectively communicate intensions and requirements to internal and external stakeholders. Level 4: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in computer science, information systems, mathematics, statics, data analytics or related field is required. Or
- A first-level university degree in combination with additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- PRINCE2 certification an added advantage.
- 2 years’ relevant professional experience at the national or international level; sound knowledge and experience in information management and maintenance of computer information systems or related area is required.;
- Relevant experience in working with an UN agency or other humanitarian agency is desirable. Experience in the area of data/information management in the context of emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, humanitarian/development environment, field coordination is an asset.
- Technical expertise with Microsoft technologies, particularly MS Office 365 and MS SharePoint is desirable.
- Proficiency in English. Working knowledge of other UN language desirable.
- Non-Smoking environment.
UNDP is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staffs and encourages applications from qualified candidates and persons with disabilities.
UNDP is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for and commitment to human rights, diversity, and non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNDP staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNDP jobs.
UNDP has zero tolerance of sexual abuse, abuse of authority and exploitation.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process (application, testing, interviewing, etc.). The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.