Rule of Law Officer- SC8 (Only for Nationals)
The Strengthening Accountability and Rule of Law (SARL) Project supports the Government of Myanmar to address low public trust in state institutions at a critical time in Myanmar’s transition. Building on the clear initiative of all three branches of the Government of Myanmar to promote transparency and accountability, the project helps to strengthen institutional frameworks and capacities for good governance. SARL is organized into three thematic intervention areas: (1) Anti-Corruption, (2) Parliament, and (3) Rule of Law and Human Rights.
Within the Rule of Law and Human Rights (ROLHR) component, SARL supports institutional capacity of formal justice sector institutions to provide higher quality, more accessible and responsive legal services to the public and to other government entities, as well as institutional justice sector efforts to coordinate among themselves and development partners in order to address the urgent needs identified at the local and national level, and to leverage resources to provide a cohesive justice sector reform strategy.
The Rule of Law Officer works under the direct supervision of the SARL Project Manager and supports all aspects of the ROLHR component of SARL in Kachin. This includes providing quality control over implementing partners of UNDP who deliver rights awareness and legal assistance programmes, particularly in the field of Housing, Land and Property rights (HLP).
The Rule of Law Officer works in close collaboration with the Country Office Programme Unit, Programme Support Unit and other project teams, government officials, technical advisors and experts, implementing partners, beneficiaries and civil society to support successful implementation of the project.
The Rule of Law Officer works under the direct supervision of the SARL Project Manager and works closely with the international HLP and Durable Solutions Coordinator, and the national HLP OfficerUNV Rule of Law Officer.
UNDP Myanmar is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Coordination and implementation of project activities in field of Rule of Law and Human Rights (ROLHR) in Kachin
- Provision of high quality technical assistance to counterparts, including legal aid providers and CSOs
- Oversee legal aid, awareness, outreach and community-based initiatives
- Leads knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
1. Ensures coordination and implementation of the activities relating to rule of law and human rights, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support delivery of the project activities in Kachin State including monitoring, and reporting on the project interventions in Kachin, and contributing to all routine quarterly and annual results reporting
- Coordinates with government counterparts and CSOs to implement technical activities including, for example, drafting correspondence, identifying timelines, and designing concept notes, terms of reference, approaches, methodologies, etc.
- Produces analysis briefs and synthesis and contributes to design and implementation of project activities.
- Support facilitation and delivery of workshops, seminars, capacity building training, local policy advocacy initiatives with stakeholders as necessary
- Monitors issues and risks related to project implementation, identifies mitigation measures, and implements agreed actions.
- Regularly provides up-to-date information about context including issues and risks related to project implementation.
2. Provides high quality technical assistance to counterparts focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide technical assistance to the Kachin State Coordinating Body for the Rule of Law Centre and Justice Sector Affairs.
- Support data collection of justice institutions to inform stronger formal justice responses for disadvantaged groups.
- Liaise with counterparts and grantees to support the implementation of technical activities including, for example, drafting correspondence, identifying timelines, and designing concept notes, terms of reference, approaches, methodologies, etc.
- Advise on local justice issues and provide contextual information in support of the development of a curriculum on rule of law, human rights, SGBV, and other issues specific to the Kachin context to be delivered to rule of law actors.
- Co-facilitate training/workshops for justice officials on gender equality, HLP, SGBV, rule of law, fair trial, etc.
3. Oversee legal aid, awareness, outreach and community-based initiatives focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support and monitor outreach activities conducted by grantees such as community forums/discussions and training.
- Build and maintain working relationships with local justice actors, including justice institutions, local bar associations, legal aid providers, etc.
- Provide coordination support between national level women and youth networks and IDP women in Kachin through facilitation of coordination with and between Government and local organizations.
- Provide capacity development support to local CSOs and NGOs, bar associations and women legal aid providers, especially on gender and conflict sensitive mediation, dispute and conflict resolution etc.
- Provide ad hoc translation and interpretation support as necessary.
4. Leads knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Documents the processes taken during the provision of technical assistance and lessons learned so that the know-how can remain within government institutions.
- Participates in design of monitoring tools and analysis of monitoring results to ensure achieving successful results of technical assistance.
- Keep abreast of good practices in other countries and identifies learning points for Myanmar.
- Identifies opportunities for government counterparts to share their experience with other countries and facilitates South-South cooperation.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 2: Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Creates effective advocacy strategies
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.2: Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Level 1.2: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 2: Developing tools and mechanisms
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 2: In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.2: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters or Bachelors Degree in Law, Public Administration, International Relations, Political Science, Development Studies, or other relevant discipline.
- Two years’ experience with Bachelor’s degree (or less than two years with Master’s degree) in the implementation of democratic governance programmes and projects.
- Solid knowledge of democratic governance issues in relation to ROLHR, and a good understanding of the functions, processes and role of the justice sector institutions in Myanmar.
- Experience of interacting with, and providing technical assistance to, high level government counterparts.
- Experience in coordinating with wide range of stakeholders, including government, development partners, academia/think tank, civil society, I/NGO, parliament, etc.
- Solid knowledge of project management principles and best practices.
- Working experience with justice institutions, parliament, I/NGOs, and/or CSOs working on justice issues is preferred.
- Computer literacy – MS office applications, web-based management information systems.
- Demonstrated strength in interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Fluency in Myanmar.
UNDP is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
Only those candidates in whose qualifications and experience the Organization has further interest will be contacted for subsequent interview(s).
Women are encouraged to apply.
Thanking you for your kind cooperation.
Human Resources Unit