Chief of Party II- Community Resilience through Agriculture
South Sudan (South Sudan)
CRS/South Sudan is seeking a Chief of Party II for an anticipated four-year USAID funded Increasing Community Resilience through Agriculture contract in South Sudan. The contract will seek to increase the productivity of the agriculture sector, increase farmer organization and social cohesion, strengthen savings led financing, diversify livelihoods, and improve the demand and supply (variety and quality) of nutritious food in local markets throughout the country. Hiring is contingent upon successful receipt of the contract and donor approval of the candidate.
The selected candidate will provide vision, leadership, innovation and overall management of the USAID contract to strengthen the productive capacities of households and communities to increase food production, utilize more nutritious foods, strengthen financial education, marketing and business basics and diversify incomes through a combination of on-farm and off-farm market activities. The contract is i ntended to complement and integrate with existing USAID programming in the same sectors and target areas. The selected candidate’s strategic leadership, management, innovation and technical knowledge will ensure the delivery of high-quality programming and advance the position of CRS as a leading agency in agriculture, livelihoods, and community resilience. As a senior leader s/he will proactively manage security and mitigate security risks. S/he will lead teams spread across multiple locations and oversee direct implementation of activities. S/he will coordinate with sector teams to amplify the value and impact of CRS’ program portfolio. Together with the program’s technical team, s/he will be based in Bor town, Jonglei State and conduct regular field visits to remote and insecure field locations.
* Master’s degree in International Development, Agriculture, Rural Development, or a relevant technical area. PhD preferred. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
* A minimum of 10 years’ of relevant management and technical experience, including management of complex, high-value, multiactivity projects, with complicated logistics.
* A minimum of 7 years of experience managing donor funds, including USAID (preferable contracts). Excellent knowledge and experience in budget management.
* A minimum of 5 years of staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment. Experience coaching and mentoring senior program staff. Experience managing contracts, including USAID contracts.
Required Languages: English
Travel: Must be willing and able to travel up to 50% of the time within South Sudan.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
* Excellent relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
* Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams. Coaching/mentoring skills.
* Strong communications and presentation skills; able to develop tailored and persuasive messaging for varied audiences.
* Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
* Significant experience in establishing new programming including office start-up, recruitment, and direct program implementation in conflict settings.
* Experience and skills in implementing matrix management and remote management for programs and operations field teams and partners.
* Proven ability to plan and manage multiple tasks in parallel to optimize the short seasonal implementation window in multiple locations.
* Demonstrated capacity to live and work in remote and insecure field locations with basic amenities, few or no other international staff, and adhere to a strict curfew and movement restrictions.
* Established leader in community resilience, livelihoods and markets as demonstrated by peer reviewed publications, conference presentations etc.
* Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Knowledge of CRS partnership strategy a plus.
* Commitment to local leadership and empowering local actors.
* Experience applying program quality standards to project design, organizational learning, performance improvement, and application of gender equity.
* Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
* Continuous Improvement & Innovation
* Builds Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Strategic Mindset
* Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities: Direct supervision of Agriculture &Livelihoods Program Manager, Markets Program Manager, MEAL Program Manager, Finance and Operations Manager, Nutrition Program Manager, and Gender, Youth, and Social Cohesion Program Manager.
*** Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.