Laboratory Advisor Consultant
Jhpiego, an international non-profit health organization affiliated with the Johns Hopkins University, in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health through the National AIDS/STI Control program is implementing Phase 3 of the Self Testing Africa Initiative (STAR) in Nigeria.
The STAR project is an 18-month HIV Self Testing (HIVST) project designed to catalyze the adoption, availability and use of HIVST in Nigeria. The project objectives include creating an enabling environment for HIVST implementation and facilitating innovative distribution approaches for HIVST kits in a manner that ensures sustainable access. The Initiative aims to facilitate rapid HIVST scale-up, with the overall goal of reducing HIV-related mortality and morbidity in Nigeria, through increased demand for HIVST and subsequent linkage to treatment and prevention services.
Scope of Work:
The Laboratory Advisor Consultant will work under the supervision of the Project Director and will be responsible for leading major engagements and activities with relevant stakeholders on HIVST market expansion to include multiple pre-qualified WHO products, coordination and engagements with the laboratory unit of NASCP, MLSCN and other key partners and stakeholders.
The key tasks for the laboratory advisor consultant will include:
· Lead stakeholder engagements on market expansion to include additional WHO pre-qualified HIVST kits in Nigeria and support their evaluation as needed.
· Lead project’s support for confirming the pathway to new product registration, including potential stakeholder orientation to World Health Organization’s Collaborative Registration Procedure
· Support the review of current in-country procedure and process for IVD pre-qualification and registration to align with CRP.
· Provide technical assistance to key stakeholders on quality assurance/quality control for HIVST kits.
· Periodically engage with key regulatory agencies on addressing regulatory barriers to HIVST kits expansion.
· Provide technical support to relevant stakeholders on evaluation of new products
· Build capacity and provide other technical assistance on HIVST as required.
· Any other duties as assigned by the project director.
Required Skills and Competence
· Bachelor of Science/Health Science Degree in Medical Lab Science. Master’s degree and fellowship of the MLSCN is desirable.
· Deep knowledge of the HIV laboratory landscape including professional relationship with key stakeholders
· At least 10 years of cognate experience with HIV laboratory programs and NGOs.
· Vast understanding of the intricacies of the public sector laboratory system and familiarity with key stakeholders, donor agencies, and implementing partners is required.
· Good knowledge of the CRP and current issues with evaluation and registration of IVDs in Nigeria
· Full registration with the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria
· Demonstrated ability to attain milestones, meet deadlines and work under pressure
· Demonstrated ability to work across teams and effectively promote information-sharing, collaboration and cooperation
· Demonstrated initiative, tact and high sense of responsibility and discretion;
· Strong teamwork skills
· Excellent advocacy and communication skills, written and oral;
· Strong computer literacy
Method of Application:
Interested and qualified candidates should send their updated CV to firstname.lastname@example.org using "Laboratory Advisor Consultant" as the subject of the email.
Application Closing date:
Close of Business Monday 25th January 2021
· CV and Cover Letter as ONE SINGLE WORD document
· The title/subject of your email and application should be the position you are applying for.
· Candidates that do not comply with the application instruction will be disqualified.
· Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
· We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found.
· Only shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation for an interview
· Any successful candidate will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
· There will be travel requirements and opportunities both within Nigeria.
· JHU is an Equal Opportunity Employer
For further information about Jhpiego, please visit our website at www.jhpiego.org