Senior Animal Identification, Registration and Traceability System Expert – RFID Specialist
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The Senior Animal Identification, Registration and Traceability System Expert – RFID Specialist shall report to and operate under the overall guidance and responsibility of the FAO Regional Representative for Europe and Central Asia (REU), the technical guidance of the Animal Production and Health Officer (REU) and the functional and administrative guidance of the Assistant FAO Representative in Georgia; in close collaboration with the FAO international and national project management, staff of the National Food Agency (NFA) and of the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Agriculture (MEPA) of Georgia.
Provide technical expertise for the appropriate planning, development and implementation of the FAO project and timely delivery of the project outputs.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Desk review of the livestock sector in Georgia and in particular, the small ruminant’s subsector.
- Discussions with the NFA and the MEPA and establishment of a clear vision and scope for application of UHF RFID ear tags in Georgia, in particular taking in consideration the cost-benefits for its introduction among small ruminants and the associated EU requirements for data collection and commitments towards Georgia’s EU approximation.
- On basis of the vision and scope agreed with the NFA and the MEPA, develop an Action plan for rollout of UHF RFID technology (ear tags and data reading and processing equipment) in small ruminants in eastern Georgia, including:
- Phased implementation approach consisting of the following consecutive steps: 1) Testing of software and equipment for use of UHF RFID, 2) Municipal level piloting and 3) Full rollout of the technology, 4) Post rollout and maintenance requirements;
- Preconditions for implementation of each implementation phase, obligations and commitments required for ensuring sustainability, added value for the NAITS stakeholders derived of the implemented activities;
- Detailed actions for each stage of the implementation, inclusive of qualification and quantification of resources (human resources, capacity development, equipment etc.) and costs, schedule for implementation and responsible stakeholders;
- Monitoring provisions for the Action plan, including indicators and targets for each stage of the rollout;
- Provide technical guidance and supervision for the implementation of the first phase of the action plan, i.e. pilot activities aimed at testing of software (in development) and various equipment for use of UHF RFID.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University level degree in Animal Husbandry, Veterinary Medicine or similar.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in development of Animal Identification, Registration and Traceability systems.
- Working knowledge of English (level C).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Experience in use of RFID in small ruminants in the EU context and their cost benefit analysis.
- Experience in provision of consultative support and in producing out analytical reports.
- Extent and diversity of experience related to the above requirements
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency