Banjul (Gambia the)
The UN Dispensary laboratory Technician performs His/her functions under the direct supervision of the Medical Physician In-Charge of the UN dispensary.
The UN Clinics operate under the general supervision of UNDP on regards of all administrative matters.
The technical supervision of the physician and the medical personnel in the field and the performance evaluation will be executed by the UN Medical Director or his nominee. In order to ensure that UNDP should granted access to DHMOSH (Division of Healthcare Management and Occupational Safety and Health) for its performance appraisal report.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Medical Officer In-charge and within delegated authority, the Laboratory Technician will be responsible for the following duties:
a. Management of the UN dispensary laboratory to ensure smooth operation of the day-to-day functions.
b. Regular maintenance of all laboratory equipment.
c. Fast and efficient resolution of all problems related to laboratory performance:
d. proper reporting of problems to the manufactures' customer service,
e. proficient communication with maintenance engineers and prompt facilitation of an on-site service if needed.
f. Ensure safe handling of bio-hazardous materials in compliance with the international standards and practices.
g. Draws blood samples applying highest sterilization standards. Collects and labels urine, stool and sputum samples for different tests as requested by the medical officer.
h. Perform all laboratory tests as requested by the medical officer with great precision.
i. Autoclave and sterilize the instruments and containers applying the highest standards.
j. Assist in organization and implementation of health promotion/monitoring programmes.
k. Perform diagnostic and screening laboratory tests using the available equipment and instruments.
l. Report in a timely fashion results of tests to the Medical officer.
a. Ensure proper management of reagents stock; Keep an inventory of laboratory supplies and ensures that the supplies are always replenished and adequate.
b. Make arrangements for outside laboratory tests for UN staff when required.
c. Keep records of all work done in the laboratory and provide statistical report regarding laboratory activities.
Impact of Results :
The incumbent analyzes and produces laboratory results with maximum precision leading to reliable results. This will assist in timely diagnosis of ailments.
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the UN dispensary. Accurate, safe, cost effective and timely execution of the fully documented results strengthens the capacity of the UN Clinic at the duty station, and facilitates subsequent action by the supervisor.
1. Professionalism: Demonstrated competence in laboratory testing and modern laboratory technology Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
2. Planning and Organizing: Effective organizational skills and ability to prioritize and to plan own work.
3. Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity. Informed and transparent decision making.
4. Commitment to continuous learning: Initiative and willingness to keep abreast of new skills in the nursing field.
5. Technology Awareness: Proficiency in relevant laboratory equipment
.6. Communication: Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally.
7. Client Orientation: Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines. Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients. Responds to client needs promptly.
Required Skills and Experience
Bsc in Microbiology and biochemistry or equivalent
Medical Laboratory Technician Diploma required.
Five years of experience as a laboratory technician is required
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (Microsoft, Word, Excel, etc) is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in oral and written English or French is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.