Client IT Projects Lead (internal candidates only)
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background information - ITG
The UNOPS Information Technology Group (ITG) unit is focused on innovation and harnessing cutting-edge technology to deliver solutions to UNOPS that truly address business needs.
Working with UNOPS IT Group is a unique opportunity to deliver systems to users around the world - making an impact on development and solving practical problems for the UNOPS workforce and thereby help people build better lives and countries achieve peace and sustainable development.
ITG’s goal is to provide greater effectiveness, efficiency, and differentiation to UNOPS products and services. UNOPS IT Group is responsible for architecting, designing, delivering, and managing all UNOPS IT infrastructure and business applications. The unit includes Enterprise Architects, Business Analysts, Solutions Designers, and Developers from all around the world who are based primarily in Denmark and Thailand.
Under the supervision of the Chief Information Officer, the Client IT Projects Lead will institutionalise the new Client IT Projects function that is designed to provide corporate level assurance and assistance to field projects that are engaged in the delivery of IT outputs or have significant IT-related risks. The position will support UNOPS in the acceptance of Client IT Projects through risk assessments and capacity gap assessments. The position will also directly support the Client IT Projects through advice and recommendations on managing risks, implementing governance, and assuring the quality of the IT deliverables. In addition to this, the position will establish mechanisms for Client IT projects to be delivered remotely through external suppliers or temporarily insourced consultants.
3. Capacity gap assessment
4. Develop offshore capacity for the delivery of Client IT Projects
1. Establish and institutionalise the Client IT Projects function as an integral part of the UNOPS IT function
Establishes the methodology, processes, and cost recovery modality for the Client IT Projects function
Develops an effective monitoring system and tools for tracking all IT-related client projects or projects that have significant IT-related risks that are ongoing or at different stages of acceptance
Develops and implements an effective risk assessment framework for evaluating Client IT projects
Communicates with relevant stakeholders and business development personnel at the regional and field level on the Client IT projects function and associated policies and processes
Evaluates client opportunities, engagements and partnership agreements that may contain significant IT elements or significant IT-related risks and make recommendations to appropriate authorities on the acceptance or rejection of the engagement as part of the UNOPS engagement acceptance process
Provides assurance on deliverables and provides advice in case of delays or issues based on the context of the Client IT project and as may be agreed and defined within the client agreement
In coordination with the UNOPS CISO, ensures compliance of Client IT projects with UNOPS IT security policies and the alignment of UNOPS IT established procedures, policies, standards and best-practices as defined by UNOPS ICT Enterprise Architects
Monitors successful implementation and maintenance of the defined documentation, standards and procedures within Client IT projects
Recommends and oversees the implementation of appropriate governance mechanisms within Client IT projects
Recommends for intervention any capacity gaps that may prevent the successful delivery of the Client IT Project based on an assessment of the capabilities required and any capacity gaps identified at the field office level
Assists in the development of new proposals for Client IT projects and review and revise as appropriate proposals to ensure feasibility and appropriateness of the proposal to address client needs
Contributes to strategic planning and provides guidance and expertise on technical matters to field projects
Provides guidance and advice to field offices to ensure successful delivery of Client IT projects
4. Develop and establish offshore / nearshore capacity for the remote delivery of Client IT Projects
Develops a business plan for establishing offshore / nearshore capacity for the remote delivery of Client IT Projects at zero to low cost to UNOPS
Establishes financial cost recovery / chargeback mechanisms for the use of the remote delivery capacity for use by Client IT projects
Establishes appropriate job profiles for typical sets of resources that may be utilised to deliver Client IT projects
Establishes appropriate Long Term Agreements (LTAs) and / or pools of retainers / consultants with appropriate skills for possible engagement on Client IT projects
Develops appropriate performance methodologies and metrics for managing the performance of suppliers and / or retainers / consultants engaged for the purpose of remote delivery of Client IT projects
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Master’s Degree, preferably in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Technology Management, Mathematics or other relevant discipline is required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in combination with additional two years of experience may be accepted in lieu of master’s degree.
- Secondary education in combination with additional six years of experience may be accepted in lieu of a master's degree
- Minimum 7 years of experience required in the area of IT management, managing IT operations, IT-related business development, or similar
- Strong knowledge of IT software development, including SDLC methodologies and best-practice governance standards for IT software projects required
- Strong knowledge of IT infrastructure and information security standards and application required
- Working level knowledge of IT Enterprise Architecture and appropriate application within the context of specific IT projects required
- Certification in Prince2 project management methodology or similar required.
- Good understanding of Technology Risk and IT policies and standards
- Experience with stakeholder and client communication and management required
- Excellent communication skills and exceptional understanding of IT
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills to develop acceptable solutions for the business
- Certification in financial management will be an added advantage
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: IICA3
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- This vacancy is open to internal candidates only.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.