WASH emergency Volunteer
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the WASH Specialist, leading the Humanitarian WASH portfolio in Cabo Delgado province, and in coordination with the WASH team at national level, the UN Volunteer WASH Emergency will undertake the following tasks:
- Support organization of information on humantiarian WASH related interventions in Cabo Delgado and other affected provinces, focusing on the accommodation centres / resettlement sites and liaising with implementing partners to monitor the timely execution pf projects vis-a-vis approved plans and targets and aim for ongoing activities to cover minimum standards.
- Undertake regular field monitoring visits to areas targeted by the UNICEF humanitarian and regular WASH sector activities, including discussions with implementing partners, Government stakeholders, project participants or beneficiaries. The emergency response activities to be monitored will include, but are not be limited to:
- Water supply interventions, including construction / rehabilitation of water supply systems, installation and operation of water distribution points and other water supply sources.
- Installation and operation of sanitation and hygiene facilities in accommodation centres / resettlement sites / institutions
- Rehabilitation / upgrading of water supply sources in affected communities and institutions
- Distribution of WASH NFI items among affected communities.
- Community mobilization, hygiene and sanitation promotion activities at community level,
- Provide inputs for the reporting of UNICEF WASH response interventions within UNICEF, WASH cluster and other reporting requirements ensuring compliance with key programme indictors and objectives .
- Support design / implementation for WASH assessments, KAP surveys as well as Post Distribution Monitoring (PDM) and monitoring plans
- Participate in WASH and multisectoral assessments and support development of implementation strategies for new areas in need.
- Support analysis of WASH sector needs and priorities and definition of sector strategies and standards to ensure WASH response is implemented as per national and international humanitarian standards
- Support the documentation of good practices and development of technical notes for humanitarian WASH interventions conducted by UNICEF and partners in previous years.
- Minimum “Licenciatura" in WASH related domains of: civil / sanitary / environmental engineering sociology, public health or related fields
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in the domains of; water supply, santiation and hygiene, rural / community development, behavioural change and project management. Experience in humanitarian / emergency WASH programme is considered and asset.
- Fluency in Portuguese and working knowledge of English. Familiarity / knowledge of local languages will be an asset.
- Analytical mind set, and people orientated
- Portuguese(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- English(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
- Excellent computer skills in word, excel and powerpoint. Familiarity with GIS applications would be an asset
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call for to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 04 February 2021